Super Car Runs Bicycle Rider Down from Behind - Akuna Bay - May 2018

Hi All

I just wanted to alert people to a serious incident that occurred last week. I have not seen it covered outside road riding social media and the standard Police release that I had to go looking for.

A man riding a bicycle was run down from behind mid week and mid morning on the Akuna Bay loop. The motorist was a motorsport journalist test driving a McLaren supercar. 0 to 100kms in less than 4 seconds.

The rider sustained two broken knees, broken ribs and head/facial injuries. He is still in a very serious condition in ICU at RNSH.

NSW Police say they are investigating.

I've mentioned the incident to a few people and they had not heard of it so passing it along in case anyone rides that route or think that because it is a known loop for bicycle riders they can feel some degree of safety.

Spare a thought for the rider, James, and his family who had their lives turned upside down compliments of a vehicle that should not be allowed anywhere near a public road.

Also make sure you have a working bell fitted to your bicycle, ding ding, that is the sound of vision zero and road safety in NSW.

Please if anyone sees any more information on this, especially progress by Police do post it up.

JM

Views: 2098

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry, its a stupid article.

Jenna Price "doesn't want to attack cyclists", but in the next breath, its "I've never once seen a cyclist booked for whizzing along a footpath, pinging bells and skittling the elderly as they go. One rule for people on wheels and another for people on foot."

she then goes on to say "New York city has ..  changed the way traffic lights functioned to give pedestrians a head start."

I don't know how many intersection signals Ms Price frequents, but NSW has changed many many lights to just this system over the last year or more.

Jenna Price can get bent.

For a 'journalism academic', she sure is lazy with her argument and backs it up with zero facts. She must teach her students that journalism is all about the feels.

Her personal experience encompasses everything that happens in NSW, it would seem.

She "doesn't want to attack cyclists", but in the next breath, its "I've never once seen a cyclist booked for whizzing along a footpath, pinging bells and skittling the elderly as they go. One rule for people on wheels and another for people on foot."

people fined for riding on footpaths in 2016/17: 16

Cars fined for various pedestrian-related offences (not stopping at crossings, not giving way when turning etc): 2016/17: 125

You can see that even in the enforcement of jaywalking penalties. At the corner of two very busy streets in Sydney, I've watched police officers book student after student for jaywalking but never once observed a driver of a car pulled over for intimidating a pedestrian, although that happens every single day.

Pedestrians fined for crossing-related offences (< 20m from a crossing, not shortest path across road, not cross quickly) 2016/17: 28

Drivers fined for not stopping at a crossing, or not giving way 2016/17: 36

she then goes on to say "New York city has ..  changed the way traffic lights functioned to give pedestrians a head start."

I don't know how many intersection signals Ms Price frequents, but NSW has changed many many lights to just this system over the last year or more.

(ps: apologies for the half duplicate post.. something went screwy with posting

James is a good friend of mine, and I usually ride with him every Wednesday. On this day I had to work in Melbourne, so I am still in shock that through serendipity or coincidence i was absent. I still can't visit him but he is slowly getting better and talking now after being in ICU till now.

Hi Bill

I am still fuming about this incident and awaiting to hear what NSW Police are doing in relation to the driver.

It is good to hear James T is showing some positive signs of recovery, I got second hand how serious the injuries were/are. I sincerely hope he can return to his super fit pre collision health and return to racing in B Grade and his work practice.

Thanks for the update, and I just hope that neither you or James T feel like any blame/guilt is on you. There is just no way to predict or avoid these things.

JM

Thanks James,

Yeah, there's no guilt on my part, just anger and still a bit of shock, and that weird sense of relief that on any other Wednesday it would have been both of us... If I know James T, he will be back at it as soon as he is able to. 

RSS

© 2018   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service