Sydney Bike Share Scheme starts July 2017 ("6000 bikes within 6 months")

From the Sydney Cycling Herald, this will be interesting

http://www.smh.com.au/world/bikesharing-boom-travels-from-china-to-...

[for the time poor the summery is that rival Asian Bike Share companies are setting up in Sydney & Melbourne.]

I hope these turn out to be roaring financial successes but there is reason to have doubt, perhaps the flexibility of the app and return almost anywhere will be key to overcoming previous problems.

And a rehash of the same story but with a bit more detail on the specific plans for Sydney says, "..first 160 bikes will ship from China on Monday, but the plan is to put 6000 bikes on greater Sydney's streets within six months.."

http://www.smh.com.au/world/will-chinas-bike-boom-beat-sydney-traff...

Views: 2699

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Absolutely. I've never been able to work out what the designers have in mind when they do this, it just makes bicycling unpleasant for the very people who need encouraging.

I've ridden the ReddyGo bikes around Darling Harbour and Millers point and found the gearing quite good for that terrain (flat), using all 3 gears.

I did ride across the SHB one lunchtime to get to BikeBug, which built up a bit of sweet and required quite a bit of standing up. "dancing on the pedals" to quote Phil Liggett

This morning was the first time I've seen an hire bike near my home,  only 50 metres away and on the highway were it would be easily noticed.  Unfortunately the helmet was missing, which I've seen too many times

Yet another one with the helmet missing.  A Reddy parked at Fivedock

Nice day for a ride. And the 3 gears are handy. It can be challenging finding one that is ride-able.

After weeks of looking at those oBikes on footpaths, I *finally* saw one being ridden this morning. Rider, helmet and even in a cycleway!

I saw one last week. With helmet, riding east in the morning peak on Cleveland Street!

RSS

Community Ads

© 2017   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service