Just a heads up that NSW's finest were back in the park this morning fining hordes of riders for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. Every rider must completely stop.

One whole bunch fined, a second bunch was split with the front half being fined.

I will try to find out exactly which stop sign from Strava/Facebook posts but thought it might be of interest on here.

Business as usual for NSW.

JM

Views: 3209

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is what makes me think that the NSW Police don't actually have a clue about road safety. 

What ever they are doing (anything?) is not working and they don't seem to be changing it up... 

Cyclist persecution aside I feel like the roads are getting more dangerous for every single road user. All measure should be on the table to lower the road toll and make it safer.

It must be a 'giant leap' from begging people to slow down to actually doing something constructive and I sincerely hope that they make the giant leap soon. Lives will be lost in the meantime.

JM

Yet another case of "the law is an ass".

Time for the supposed "peak bodies" to be lobbying for things that are safe for cycling, like "Idaho stops", etc 

On your new SOP commute heading down Hill Rd to the river?

Bit further back. Where Australia Ave meets the Busway.

That is the spot.

drove through there twice today, 4 hours apart and saw cars getting booked both times for ignoring the stop sign. I know this goes against the victim complex here, but it's certainly not just directed at cyclists. In the many laps I've ridden there cops are often booking speeders along the back straight as well.

It is obtuse not to allow Idaho stops for bicycles.

Yeh, the stop direction is based on having 2.5metres of vehicle in front of you plus a pillar in your line of sight.  A left turn as a give way for cyclists would seem reasonable considering the  improved line of sight

good to know, ta

So I thought I would go and do laps this morning.

Bit of a disaster - and I appreciate that LACC is trying to work out a new route.

First up was reverse of the old route, no stop signs, water from sprinklers on the main drag and guarantee of extra red light each lap past the Aquatic Centre. Then turning from main drag right across 2 lanes of oncoming traffic on main drag was also sketchy. Someone will make a bad decision and pay dearly for it..

About half the bunch did the first trial lap and then promptly went back to just doing the outer laps. These feel safer, you can get a pace line up to speed for longer. There is more traffic, including trucks, which is not ideal especially for slower bunches who will be passed.

I get that these are public roads, but feel that there is value to the general public in designating a handful of locations for an hour a few mornings a week so that riders can train and push themselves. My guess is that a fair few people who ride laps don't get out onto the 'normal' road system much, and appreciate a safer environment to ride in.

It just seems that riders are now being put at more risk for a stop sign that should be a give way for anyone turning left. I prefer the outer laps, but can understand those wanting cornering, less traffic and to keep a good thing going are not happy. 

Difficult to estimate the numbers in the park this morning but they are way down, maybe halved. Hopefully rider went and trained elsewhere and are not giving up cycling.

JM

Seems the riders will have to get together (through a state body ?) and deal with police and RMS etc

Put a dedicated cycling track inside the Newington nature Reserve.

I'm sure planners could come up with multiple options, eg duplicate, a dedicated, Louise Savage and River walk and build a new path turning left before the park, going behind the buildings in the middle.

Or a longer version of a path around the perimeter with crossing points that contain calming devices, eg gates, poles, look right signs etc, so walkers and recreation riders don't walk out in front of a fast moving cyclist.

Wouldn't cost much and would be used extensively as it's safe. 

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service