Just a heads up that NSW's finest were back in the park this morning fining hordes of riders for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. Every rider must completely stop.

One whole bunch fined, a second bunch was split with the front half being fined.

I will try to find out exactly which stop sign from Strava/Facebook posts but thought it might be of interest on here.

Business as usual for NSW.

JM

Views: 3209

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I ride there regularly and that corner should not be a stop sign turning left. There is excellent vision to the right. Has anyone seen the cops policing the stop signs at the intersection of Dawn Frazer & Olympic Blvd - where vehicles regularly don't stop. I've had several close calls there. This smells like the start of an orchestrated campaign to make it so impractical to ride at SOP.

The new lights at Uhrig ave and the re-sequencing if the lights at Birnie ave, have severely negatively impacted the flow and thus the safely of doing laps at SOP. Previously, you'd never see groups 1,2 and 3 interacting, now it's happening more regularly. 

Sol'n, sadly, ride at 5 when it's quiet, and/or wait till winter when the numbers drop off.

You would think that Sydney Olympic Park would cater for training.

It's a bit shitty if our taxes were used just for organised sport which people pay to watch.

this morning they weren't doing the normal lap, ie not left into olympic Blvd, riders were continuing along Sarah Durack then Bennelong Pkwy, not sure why, maybe the construction near the sports centre, but they could have turned if they wanted to, or they've decided to change the route. 

Yes, changed to avoid the stop sign. The extra traffic light is not so bad.

My concern with the change is that one day, a car won't stop at Aus Ave and group 1 will be belting up Marj Jackson way and bad things will happen, hopefully not, but I am a bit fearful.

Also group 5 will be a bit slow to be 2 abreast along Bennelong, and someone will get impatient and do something stupid, again hopefully not, but I am fearful. There's always plenty of traffic on Bennelong, both ways.

One group came from Murray Rose, about 6.10, were they starting? or did they come up Aus Ave and down Murray Rose? if so, what was the reasoning to not just continue along Bennelong?

Absolutely - The stop sign there is ignored by cyclists and cars alike - it does not warrant a stop sign, but needs a give way sign and a warning sign to watch for traffic coming from the right..

Historically, the only incidents between motor vehicles and cycles at SOP have been 100% the fault of the motor vehicles - driving occasioning GBH, illegal U turns, SMIDSYs etc etc etc. 

I think they started down Murray Rose - then the full big loop thereafter. . 

If you stop you get rear-ended.

Interestingly, a mate reported to me today that when he was doing SOP laps last week (solo, at a gentleman's hours) he saw a highway patrol car booking multiple cars during his laps.

They should spend a bit of time on Hill Road, plenty of cars/trucks exceeding 60 km/h. Then you have to contend with the crazy parking - it is a bit of an obstacle course near the ferry wharf.

Eventually once enough residents complain and construction finishes I can see speed humps being installed every 50 to 75 metres. 

Friend posted a photo from the new SOP laps course, bunch of riders on a much busier road with a truck in the background. Looks much safer!

JM

good, I sometimes ride early morn or late at night and plenty use the quiet roads to open it up. Often see them sitting in the busway and catching people speeding down Aus Ave, and prob not stopping at the stop sign.

The also need to sit in the turn off bay of Sarah Durack to Shirley Strickland as plenty speed along Sarah Durack.

In the dark ages, late on Friday and Saturday nights, The northern end of Hill Road was known as Brickies.

It was a famous illegal drag racing spot. I'm sure many older hoons still go there to reminisce. 

I got pinged on the 5th Jan. Rolled slowly through a stop sign. Zero traffic around. Motorcycle cop was hidden in the bushes down the road.

$330 fine.

The persecution continues.

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service