Melbourne rated 20th, Sydney 40th, in this ranking of cities for cycling from what seems like a reputable mob. From a rough look at the details, it’s quite complex, we do relatively well on safety but fall down on infra spending and encouragement programs and support, which won’t surprise many.

https://www.coya.com/bike/index-2019

Copenhagenize also recently ranked top twenty cities.

Views: 246

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would like to better understand how Change in cities has occurred, and how to amplify the rate of Change.

A discriminator for me is the difference between Needing a Special map and wayfinding from just being able to travel wherever I want without thinking About Cycling friendly routes.

We are pretty good at wayfinding signs, but the infra is a bit basic.

Yes that's Pretty good if cluttered.

What I mean though is all routes should be good for Cycling, such that wayfinding especially for cyclists is superfluous. Obviously it is needed for routes that are only for Cycling.

Otherwise cyclists should  not Need to find a Special route just for them. The System should allow all road users to navigate.

I get that Right now cyclists Need to find quiet alternative routes. But that is because the principal routes are usually designed to exclude them (us).

Looking at the stats, Sydney figures for injuries per 100,000 pop. are low at 350, cf in particular Boston at 3400!  USA very high in general. Also, Amsterdam is fairly high cf Copenhagen.

I've had a number of conversations lately that are along the lines of  "My friend/cousin/father/whoever has figured out how to ride [to work] between X and Y" and various comments about how hard it is to avoid heavy traffic or the like.

I know I'm preaching to the converted but Sydney really needs a proper network of routes so people can at least ride indirectly without feeling their safety has been compromised.

BTW I see that the final sections of the Epping road bike path is under construction (heading towards Epping), a shame it doesn't connect to the Harbour  bridge...

Sydney at 40, London a 62? maybe they overplay the weather a bit in the results as I can't credit that scoring at all.

IMO that is nuts. I have ridden in so many of those listed cities. Starting at rank 41 and going to rank 70 the following are in my experience significantly better to ride in than Sydney...Portland, Madrid, Ljubljana, Stuttgart, Washington, Brussels, LA, Warsaw, Boston, Milan, NYC.

I put a lot of weight on car driver behaviour (cultural) and on available space to ride (spatial). Granted there are issues with LA and Boston. But they are still better. DC is far better. So is NYC. The European cases are far better. I wonder...did these people ever ride in those cities? Also why would Canberra and Perth not be far ahead of Sydney? Same goes for lots of European cities. 

Several other cases are just strange. For example placing Wellington ahead of Vienna. That's nuts. As much as I like riding in Wellington, it is way behind Vienna.

A further factor is the expectation that a rich city ought to have got on top of this issue. On this basis it is hard to forgive NSW for letting us down the way they have.

It is a good idea to have rankings but I think they just have it wrong. 

Sydney's bicycle use was also given as being 10% - I really can't credit where that figure came from, given it feels more like 2-3% and is very unevenly distributed, both socially and spatially.

Geneva, another city I know well, was listed as having 7% bicycle use, when bikes of all sorts are everywhere there, and ridden by all kinds of people.

Seems you could put out your own list, Noel!

I’m thinking they only got stats from City of Sydney, not the rest of Sydney.

Even City of Sydney doesn't do 10%. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling_in_Sydney

Though the stats the put out themselves are a bit harder to understand https://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/311...

I spent two days riding about 100km in Brisbane this week. Ok, anecdote not data.But as Dr Been points out re Geneva and Sydney, you need to be wary of incorrect or misused data anyway.

What has happened up there in terms of riding infrastructure in the last five years is just amazing. The paths are often three lane, one for peds. Each bike lane is often 2.4m wide allowing room for safe overtaking. Hats off to Brisbane.

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service