Calling all southerners, thought I might start a thread as a repository for useful info about the southern routes. Current hazards, that sort of thing.

While my commute from Nth CBD to Ramsgate via the Bourke twins and around the airport is one route that I will try and keep up to date info on, as well as Ramsgate to Sutherland (via the Sutho council recommended path ie Taren Point, Sylvania Waters, Box Rd, Bellingara Rd, Garnet Rd, side of Kareela oval and Waratah St), please feel free to use this thread for other commutes such as rest of the Shire, south east to La Parouse, St George area etc. If you ride the region and see something, maybe post it here for your southern comrades!

So to kick of proceedings: 

2 Feb 2012 - ARNCLIFFE Debris on Marsh St bridge, southern/eastern footpath (actually cycle path). Accident yesterday (1/2/12) has left debris ON the path on the side of the bridge. Still there this morning.

2 Feb 2012 - ARNCLIFFE/NTH BRIGHTON LE SANDS Overgrown vegetation on Muddy Creek shared path adjacent old St George football stadium (between Bestic St and Riverine Park). After 12 months was getting a bit dangerous so called Rockdale Council today. Have received a call that the matter is being escalated within the maintenance team.

2 Feb 2012 - BRIGHTON LE SANDS Regulars know this to be the case from months, but for any newbies: Crawford Rd closed to southbound traffic entering from Bay Street. Most bikes have been crossing at ped lights and footpathing it past the roadworks. Will update when road reopens.

2 Feb 2012 - DARLINGHURST. Bourke St Cycleway. Northbound (dowwnhill) at Liverpool St. Bike lane sensor still not working (since opening of BSCW). Traffic lane sensor though WILL pick up bikes to grab a green in absence of other traffic. Make sure you stop on the sensor (re cut lines in road) in middle line of the sensor.

2 Feb 2012 - MASCOT. Cycleway around back of factories commencing Qantas catering to Pt Botany overpass is getting pretty overgrown from the sides - less room to overtake pedestrians.

Views: 4478

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice. Looks a lot better in the sunshine.

I look forward to giving it a go tonight

Anyone know if Marsh St bridge, south bound path is open?

Coming in this morning on the bike in a long time, that south bound path look wide, smooth and new. Just not sure if we can ride it yet? Guess I'll find out in a few hours...

And its a no. A big no. 

It is an impressive piece of concrete at the exit point.  Is there any information about as to when it will open?

No idea, but they're cracking along with the widening of the north bound approach.

Ignore if you already know this. This newsletter from RMS has a map showing Marsh St southwestbound bike path starting from the west end of Brunetti Bridge. But it seems you won't be able legally to go east over the bridge on that side, you are supposed to cross at Flora and take the diversion via Princes Highway and Tempe Park, because the northern footpath on the bridge is also verboten for cyclists.
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/projects/sydney-south/sydney-ai...

Yep, always been the case. And always been ignored.

I'm quietly hopeful they'll widen the eastern footpath once they finish making a bigger bottleneck adding a new traffic lane.

I thought the ban was only for westbound cyclists heading west on the eastbound side path? 

Ie I thought there was only a prohibition sign on the airport side, not the Mercure side? Or did I always miss the one on the west side? 

OK - maybe I have it wrong. I assumed as there was no bicycle markings it was pedestrian only.

RSS

Community Ads

© 2017   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service