The high cost of the useless Moore Park cycle bridge

Hi all, you may be interested in this little video from EcoTransit's Gavin Gatenby regarding the excessive $38 million cost of the Moore Park cycle and pedestrian bridge – which, as anyone who lives in the area knows – is rarely used by cyclists or pedestrians, being in completely the wrong place for a start!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9OIptbL1mM&feature=youtu.be

Views: 4186

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I checked during a peak hour not very long ago - about 20 cyclists / 10 pedestrians in half an hour if I remember right.

its abysmally expensive for its yearly average traffic flow, and I could see how put out people that did use it were because of the pointlessly terrible approaches - and not only that, they compound it by not providing an immediate path back to Anzac - you have to ride another 30m to the intersection, which means people are bumping over the gutter and riding through the garden.

There is also the utter softness of the budget overrun.  If I overrun a quote to a client, I have to go unpaid until the jobs done, or I don't get paid for any of the job. 

I have ridden over this new bridge several times, but only for the novelty factor. Yes, I feel that it is in the wrong place. And $38M is a staggering amount. How does a project like this run so far over budget? On the occasions I have used this bridge, there always appears to be numerous workers just standing around, no doubt on good wages.

So, 'build it and they will come ', will tested here.

Excellent video, well researched. It really shows up how badly this unfolded for the humble taxpayer.

Contrary to Noel's comments - you are allowed to cycle on it. That said, I ride across a few times a week and rarely see anyone using it.

There has been a dozen or so (Lend Lease?) workers there constantly for several months. They seem to be slowly attaching laser-cut metal screens to the balustrades. Very slowly.

At a commercial chargeout rate of $200 per hour, that's $96,000 a week being slugged to the taxpayer for however long this keeps going.

As others have mentioned, while it might work for the occasional cricket fixture it's not a "desire line" for daily users. It needs "wings" - ie: ramps branching off at 90 degrees joining to the existing north/south paths along Anzac Parade.

It does look like a fun place to ride a billycart, not sure whether that represents good value for $38M though...

I don't understand why the heading of this thread refers to it as a bicycle bridge, is it listed in NSW's bicycle infrastructure expenditure?

Its purpose to is to cater for high pedestrian traffic to/from major sporting events

As Jay says above, it has been called a pedestrian/cycling bridge in official communications many times.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/projects/sydney-south/pathway-over-anzac-...

It was built after ignoring consultation by a government that deferred every possible cycling project it was able to - ie there was no money to build the greenway/city west, which connect to a location known to have in the region of 300 pedestrians and 600 cyclists per hour during peak hour  (twice a day, 5 days a week every week of the year).

ie they have no money for well researched highly useful projects for commuters that would align with numerous local councils efforts, and alleviate major roads but they have money for their mates saturday arvo bridge, and then some.

+1

well, it was the single largest expenditure from the state government cycling budget of around $70 million. does that count?

Radio National did a piece on it where they got an engineering consultant to look at it, and apaprently that bridge meets the code to carry a single line of traffic with vehicles up to 10 tonnes in weight.

Combined with the fact that you travel 390m to cross 60m of roadway, it is patently obvious that this is a bridge for cars, not cyclists or pedestrians. It's part of the grand pkan to build another stadium in Moore Park and a car park on the western side of anzac parade.

From what I can gather it is still a construction site, whcih may ne why the 'Cyclists Dismount' signs are still there. Considering it 'opened' several months ago, hard to believe it's still not finished.

The video was good but only seemed to want to compare the prices to other bridges or projects. I would like to know where all that money went? The cost blowout was rather poorly blamed on a redesign imposed by Office of Environment & Heritage. What were the design, material and construction cost break downs?

I have found the bridge makes part of a handy route to Centennial Park. I travel down to the SCG gates, along Driver Avenue and then onto the cycle path alongside the tennis courts, opposite Fox Studios.

The Auditor was supposed to look at it, haven't heard of any findings.
https://www.audit.nsw.gov.au/further-audit-information/proposed-top...

The route you mentioned was available before via the pedestrian crossing there, now gone I think. Arguably easier than using the bridge. It does link with the pedestrian crossing of South Dowling St and the bike route on Parkham Lane from Devonshire St, but that will change when the ESLR gets built. Bikes will be discouraged from Devonshire St I believe.

Surely you will be able to use Bourke  and Parkham Sts to get to Moore Park? 

Devonshire is east/west, Bourke north/south, so depends where you are coming from. If coming from the west Bourke St isn't much use:)

From what I've heard tram drivers don't want cyclists on Devonshire St, and there won't be much room either.

The crossing on Sth Dowling St will probably be changed so that cyclists will have to wait for trams to cross, depending on how often trams run I guess. An overpass would be better, Son/daughter of Tibby Cotter?

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service