Hi there

I have some friends from Switzerland currently touring in Australia on an around the world tour. They are looking to replace their rims, but haven't been able to find their preferred rim, which is a Ryde Sputnik, here in Aus.

I know this forum is frequented by quite a few Audax and touring riders, so thought I'd ask if anyone has any suggestions on a locally available, high quality touring rim? They are looking for 26" 36 hole rims.

Many thanks in advance.
Carl

Views: 499

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Carl,

Disc specific or rim brake rims?

I suspect rim brake as bikes with disc brakes typically don't need to get their rims replaced. This begs the question of why several distance bikes get designed with rim brakes. Supposedly because they are so simple that you can fix them anywhere. Unfortunately it is not the case though.

If they are rim brake you could look for some rims for E-bikes that are becoming available. More beefy. DT Swiss has several.

I'd be interested to know too, currently running a Mavic A719 on front, and an Alexrims DM18 on the back, after the rear Mavic got broken in a crash. Any reports on Alexrims, which seem to be quite common in Sydney amongst the tourers I hang out with.

The site below has a range of 26 inch rims, incl a DT Swiss and a Velocity NBS. What sort of touring are your mates doing, full load camping or fast credit card type? And are they hitting the hills a lot or taking inland flatter routes where you don't use your brakes that much so could maybe choose a thinner rim or not worry too much?
https://www.velogear.com.au/bike-parts/bike-parts/rims/26-rims.html

Bob, I've got dt swiss tks 540 on my Lynskey and they are a better rim than the supposedly bomb proof velocity dyads that I have on my trek 520. Dyads are good,  but tks is a better rim and usually available within a few days from Chain Reaction Cycles. 

They look the goods.
Just reading about Rigida Grizzlys, which come with a carbide surface on the rim for reduced rim wear.the mk2's have 48 holes! On SJS cycles website, UK. Rigida Sputniks also rate for touring.

48 holes! If I was riding tandems again, that would be a handy wheel to know about. The last 48 spoker that I built up was a Velocity Dyad with a 4 cross spoking.

I'm waiting on my LBS to get me a pair of 48 hole NoBS rims from Velocity for my polo bike.

26" rims with 48 holes are like hens teeth these days. I suspect I can guarantee it would have been quicker (and probably cheaper) to order rims from SJS Cycles...

Assuming rim brakes ---

I run Velocity Dyads 700c but I don't think they are available in 26". I think Velocity Aeroheat or Chukker might be the 26" equivalent. These come in 36h.

http://store.velocityusa.com/c/rims_touring

I think Velocity rims are reasonable available in Australia but you might have to go thru a bike shop to order. Also I believe Velocity are now based in the USA and not Brisbane.)

I run Alex DM18 700c rims on my light touring bike and have had no problems even though the wheels are machine built.

You can get a Alex DM18 26" 36h rim and in my experience Alex rims readily available in Australia.

Thanks for all the replies and feedback.

Yes, they have rim brakes. They are touring full load, around the world, and enjoy the mountains. If I'm not mistaken they've clocked up over 30 000km so far.

It is an interesting question why rim brakes tend to be favoured over disk brakes on touring bikes. It must come down to the perception of simplicity and ease of repair. Although I'd imagine it would be easier to carry disk brake spares, than to try procure high end rims in the back of nowhere.

We did an extended loaded tour in Europe a while back on hydraulic disk brakes and wouldn't consider rim brakes any more. Having said that, we did come to grief once. After going through flooding that came up to our top tubes, I decided to give the bikes a quick lube to help dispel some of the water. Complete rookie error, managed to get a few spots on the brake pads which rendered them utterly useless. We were in the hilly Basque region, riding uphill and walking down!

Whilst favouring hydraulic disc myself I also have had the oil-on-pad/rotor issue. A tiny bit of oil leaks out of my Rohloff hub and if I don't wipe it off the hub flange and brake adapter every now and then it gets as far as the brake and affects it.

have you mentioned this to Ohloff to the 'loff?

In Australia its probably easier to procure a 160mm rotor than it is a fresh 36 hole 26in rim to deal with braking wear.  Its easier to fix some sort of pothole wrecked rim with the wheel from a $10 bike if its not fitted with disc brakes though.

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service