Transport for NSW is seeking feedback on the draft Roads Regulation 2018.

Is this something worth commenting on? I have not read it yet  in detail but note we cant ride on the harbour bridge main deck, we cant ride in tunnels and no one can light a fire on a bridge.

Clause 41 is
a new provision which prohibits pedestrians and cyclists from travelling or riding in a
tunnel.

https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/projects/community-engagement/road...

Views: 1134

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Exactly my point earlier.

Also note that plenty bridges across highways could be considered short tunnels under that definition.  Lots of highways are dug through and then have covered over sections where bridges cross.

Likewise lots of shallow tunnels are constructed via cut-and-cover techniques.

And like  mikesbytes very accurately pointed out earlier tunnels exist in the middle of roads a very long distance from any detour or any alternative. eg:

Simples: you drop rocks on SUVs from above until some cunt agrees to give you a lift through the tunnel.

There are very good reasons not to let some road users (including cyclists) from using some roads (including tunnels).

But if this is an issue then the solution really should be looking at appropriate signage and appropriate routes for those road users.

(The fact that Sydney allows cyclists on so many motorways does seem to be a problem.  But from what I understand there isn't any alternatives provided so cyclists don't particularly want to be banned from them.)

I am just wondering... what is the alternative from using this road?  Apart from that, is it more important that motorists can proceed through this tunnel taking up more than half the width of the road when a cyclist does not.

Another question...what if two cyclists riding in opposite directions met in the middle, who has to reverse out?

It becomes so obvious... these tunnels were meant for cyclist and cars should be banned!

Steven

Nah, bugger the rail trail through the tunnel, run taxpayer funded railcars through with opal readers at either end :-)

Oxford dictionary: Underpass- " A road or pedestrian tunnel passing under a road or railway. " or runway in this case. 

Hi Bob,

Yes.  An underpass could be the Cooks River under Canterbury Rd.  It is a little squeesy now!

Steve Ray

Ha and I was saying that the airport tunnel is not an tunnel, it is an underpass but that definition says that an underpass is a tunnel  :)

Exactly... that's what lawyers do!  They get things straight under the law.

49 Exemptions
A roads authority may, either unconditionally or subject to conditions, exempt any
person or class of persons in writing from the operation of any provision of this
Division.

so your suggesting we just need to get a written tunnel pass?

exempt any person or class of persons

RSS

© 2018   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service