Transport for NSW is seeking feedback on the draft Roads Regulation 2018.

Is this something worth commenting on? I have not read it yet  in detail but note we cant ride on the harbour bridge main deck, we cant ride in tunnels and no one can light a fire on a bridge.

Clause 41 is
a new provision which prohibits pedestrians and cyclists from travelling or riding in a
tunnel.

https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/projects/community-engagement/road...

Views: 1134

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is a recently built tunnel on the M1 near Byron Bay, I believe.  The tunnel seems to have a bike/walker lane in both sides of the tunnel. You can see the painted bicycle at 15sec of the video.  There are large concrete barriers separating motors from the rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHezUZNSaZE

There are a few tunnels around.

http://www7.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewdoc/au/legis/nsw/consol_reg/...

I have also read a section in the proposed regulations that does not specifically exempt bicycles from paying a toll. M2?

They wouldn't put manual toll booths in just for bicycles.

Good point!  It could be a tunnel 10m where a pedestrial does not use lights (but they have the right of way????) or a motorist do not have insufficient vision within the tunnel according to the contractors and/or governing commities!

It just means... drive as fast in here and if you kill a cyclists... its all legal!

Steven

Tunnel does not seem to be defined so the default is common usage. One defination (Merriam Webster) is as follows:

"a covered passageway; specifically : a horizontal passageway through or under an obstruction"

This is pretty broad, an underpass could be considered to be considered to be a form of a tunnel. 

I think to be workable,  tunnels needs to be specifically defined under the act, or tunnels need to be listed by name in the regs, or tunnels need to signposted, where these exclusion apply.

I sense a concern that cyclists will use the westconnex tunnels, absent parallel cycle paths which of course they are suppose to do.

Drove past Sydney Airport the other day, the underpass is labeled "Airport Tunnel" despite not actually being a tunnel.  It hasn't been dug thru, rather the roadway has been covered over

Wikipedia Tunnel definition

Exactly... lol... rabbits do tunnels because??? they can... (now as a scientist!)

Just because a 'structure' runs underground are we treated like rabbits?

So what is the real definition of a tunnel?  And what is the 'new' requirement of a cyclist who might use a tunnel?

Some questions might be... Do pedestrians need to use lights in a tunnel because as a bike rider it is mandatory that I have lights... in tunnels... otherwise how can a cyclist ride safely while seeing oncoming pedestrians? Is there a right within the current law that as a cyclist can defend their is no obvious normal situation when there is conflict???

Who knows before a cyclist is challenged within court?

Who wants to be first?

Steven

Steven the new requirement is that we don't use tunnels at all, nor do pedestrians, well at least tunnels with roads in them (or road related areas).

So the obvious answer is... tunnels need to be modified so that they reach the acceptable requirements for cyclists... otherwise not vehicle should be designated as a tunnel and banned for all users.

Who lobbies for cyclists here?

Interesting it is a called a tunnel. They need to define "tunnel" in the legislation (or preferably list tunnels or sign post individual tunnels) - otherwise you can just shop around for a definition until you find one that suits.   

RSS

© 2018   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service