Unusual Findings on Cycleways / Shared Use Paths etc.......

Today I went on Western Sydney Cycling Network's Monthly Community Ride. Along the Cabramatta Creek Cycleway I found this. What have you found somewhere totally unexpected?

Views: 32

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Up around the back of the Western Sydney regional park I almost ran into an echidna. It was certainly unexpected. Unlike your poor critter there this one was still very alive.
Why is that totally unexpected? I see those on a regular basis, both scampering around and in the condition pictured. Plenty of rabbits hopping around by the M2 as well!
There's a bit of a rabbit plague in Sydney, it seems.

Great big hares running around olympic park, small bunnies along the river.

Why can't I go buy a .22 any more?
Why can't I go buy a .22 any more? Martin Bryant - would probably be a good place to start.

With all this late summer rain we are getting, expect rabbit number to increase even further.

Some native species such ring-tail possum are pretty adaptable and use creeklines and railway corridors to their advantage. There is even a small population of long-nosed bandicoots in Dulwich Hill now.
My 9 yr old boy made himself a bow and arrows yesterday and spent half an hour 'hiding' up a tree waiting for one of the bunnies around our place to show up, no luck however.

These furry fellows were all on the Stanley Park shared path in Vancouver.
Thats a bloody long way from Sydney.
I imagine they'd feel right at home there....though sad when they returned after experiencing the Vancouver cycling network. Robert it's along geographic journey but a short cultural hop.
How can they be Sydneysiders if they live in Vancouver?
Like bears the bipedal hominids are an unpredictable lot - usually the bell ring is effective but it can also provoke an aggressive verbal attack. Approach all of them with extreme caution.
A few weeks ago there was a fox sitting in the cycle lane at Homebush and yesterday i disturbed a large crow which was in the dense bushes beside the cyclelane and for some reason waddled out across the road just missing my front tyre instead of flying away. Dont know if it was injured though i didnt see it on my next lap. Not sure how i would have explained running over a crow!
Riding home from work one evening along the eastern side of the Nepean River on the path that joins the Log Cabin and Tench reserve, when my headlight picks up "something" up ahead. As it's pretty dark and the path is winding I slow down cautiously as I approach. Closer, closer, what the hell is it? All of a sudden someone yells out "Don't stop me now mate!!!" It was a couple, in the bollocky, having a romantic interlude in the middle of the path. She had obviously just been for a run as she was bent at the waist touching her toes, stretching out her hamstrings. He was helping her from behind. I rang my bell twice and gave them a "WOO HOO!"

A few months later on the same path, but this time I'm riding in to work. A mid winter morning and it is absolutely freezing. There are a few benches along the length of the path and as I approach one there is a homeless guy sleeping on it. I stop to see if he wants some tea out of my thermos. He's as cold as ice. I give him a good shake but nothing. He's dead. The cops tell me a few days later that he had a heart attack. I've seen a few dead bodies through work but this was perhaps the saddest.

Not on a cycleway but on the firetrail behind my house, I've been shadowed by a dingo for perhaps 3-400 metres. There was a pack of them behind the high school up here and they made quite a nuisance of themselves by terrorising the school kids for food scraps. Awesome.

RSS

Community Ads

Sponsors

© 2014   Created by DamianM.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service