What the hell is going on at the western end of the PFB?

Almost completely blocked off - but I suspect frustrated pedestrians and riders will make short work of them come 5pm.

This can't be the work of CoS surely...

JM

Views: 1371

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had to do a track stand on the street to wait for tourists to get out of the way. It is further evidence that a decision for a separate cyclist bridge can't be put off much longer.

My prediction:

To solve this problem, there will be a barrier placed at the end of the bike path with a sign "Cyclists dismount". You'll then have to walk across the intersection to get to the bridge. Because having cyclists and pedestrians interact with so little space is considered too dangerous for the motorists.

from @sydneycycleways- barriers have been re-configured for improved access during peak hours.

They are now have a wider gap on the crossings, with some barriers set back and turned at right angles to form queuing lines- see image.

I'm thinking what happened is that the TMP for the site said put 20 barriers down there and didn't really specify how they were to be placed, so the contractor just put them in how he thought would do, or no one followed up the work to check.
Attachments:

Boo to queue!

Good work tho

Barriers re-configuration looked ok

New route takes me here. I'm guessing it gets crowded past 6pm 

I rode past about 6:30pm where there was a laser /water show on

Not really crowded, and most were gathered to the edges to see the show anyway

but will aim to get past before 6pm on Friday

I came through there tonight (and stopped for a while to watch the son et lumiere; it's a great show - I love Vivid, even if the barriers suck) and the barriers were even more open; pretty much all of them were rotated to allow easy access to the bridge.

Perhaps they will just be re-aligning them when needed to control large crowds on the busy nights.

Yes seemed a lot better last night.

IDK if they got the message that event barriers are for *traffic* management.

"

From a traffic and transport perspective, a special event needs to:

ensure the safe separation of event patrons, participants and volunteers from traffic, and

manage the reduced capacity of the road system, and

minimise the traffic impact on the non-event community & the emergency services, and

minimise costs."

&

"

The risk assessment results in Traffic Control Plans to manage the risks identified.

Traffic Control Plans describe the layout of traffic control devices such as barriers and signs.

Traffic Control Plans are risk management plans for traffic.

To be consistent with the requirements of the Act, a person qualified in designing traffic control layouts should create the Traffic Control Plans.

Where practicable, the Traffic Control Plans should be created to an accepted standard (for example: the RTA's Guide to Traffic Control at Worksites Manual).

Traffic Control Plans are a subset of the Transport Management Plan (TMP). The TMP is the plan that describes the entire traffic and transport management for the event. "

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/trafficinformation/downloads/special_even...

This of course predates recent concerns about motor vehicles being used for political purposes as terror weapons.

I suppose the crossing times haven't been increased to allow the crowds to disperse.

My wife says that last year the crowds at the Opera House/Circular Quay area were huge, and there was danger of crushing or panic when Vivid watchers and Oprea House attendees all tried to exit the area. They diverted pedestrians up the steep stairs toMaquarie St at one point, when crowds on the foreshore got too big. Worse than New Years. Success kills the golden goose etc.

Gotta design for crowds I guess, 'tis a city of millions.

After the news of the attacks in London I had to think about these measures as they have been put in to protect the crowds for Vivid Sydney. In reflection on the use of cars as weapons there is a question in my opinion what kind of measures will be taken to protect pedestrians from vehicle attacks. 

The measures that have been taken at the moment are temporary for large events but given there will be some questions about "what would happen if it happened here", there may be moves to take more permanent measures. The worst case in my opinion would be the erection of more pedestrian fences such as the one outside Redfern railway station, with cyclists being fenced in with hostile car traffic. A better case would be the reduction if not the elimination of car traffic.

RSS

Community Ads

© 2017   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service