This is something I’ve been thinking about for a while, which is, cyclists are often their own worst enemies.

I’ve been trying to work up an acronym, best I can do is ‘‘IARAB’’, sounds a bit Semitic but it stands for ‘‘I Also Ride A Bike...’’

This is usually followed by ‘‘but’’, and then a whinge about things other cyclists do. Granted, this approach is usually by the casual cyclist, who maybe trundles off to the shops or with the kids along the beachfront once a week.

But there is a lot of mutual distrust and loathing in the keener echelons (pelotons?) of the cycling community as well, isn’t there?

So - JUST FOR FUN - have you any thoughts about the warring tribes of two-wheelers? One example per post, don’t hog all the fun at once, I’ll start the wheel roling with a few:

Lycra vs Mufti

Logos vs no-logos

Roadies vs those idiots on knobbly tyres who hoon around on nice walking paths and seem to somehow LIKE falling off a bike :-)

And also ... any idea how to curtail all this silliness? In the words of a certain prolific poster, can’t we all just get along ....?

Views: 1026

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You mean both to and from the shop?
This "True Cyclist" quiz is kinda off. It's basically saying that "true cycling" is all about sport. I'm more with Edward - a true cyclist is someone who rides at least twice a week. Sport cycling is true cycling as much as car racing is "true driving".

The other definition I've heard (from BikeSnob?) is that a true cyclist owns a floor pump. I've known many people who ride every day and don't own one, so it's not really true, but it does contain a nice piece of embedded advice.
Don't fret, I am pretty sure the quiz is tongue-in-cheek. ;-)
Yes, but the humour is exclusionary, which is the "off" part.
Cyclists vs those who are yet to stumble upon SC?
Fizz doesn't like people who don't take a pull :) - http://www.yehudamoon.com/index.php?date=2010-04-26
I was having just that thought the other day in Centennial Park.
Michael, you just hit on one of the main reasons I started this site
One funny anecdote I can tell you: My friends and I used to ride hardtail MTB's or flat bar road bikes with triple chain rings. I was the oldest (and probably the least "sexy" in the group). We regularly rode to Bobbin Head/Akuna Bay and other popular road-bike routes and we rode them pretty fast. When the "lycra-clad roadie-types" overtook us they just ignored us - for years.

Then I bought myself a carbon fibre road bike. Same old me with same group but every time a "roady" overtook me he'd give a cheery greeting and a smile (completely ignored my younger attractive friends on the non-sexy bikes though).

Made us laugh anyway.
A possible explanation :- We (the various parties supposedly at war) have different objectives, values and standards.
E.G If I feel I must spend $10,000 on a bike, then I risk being mocked by someone getting much the same results from a $500 bike. Better not to speak to them. From the contrary point of view; If I can't understand people spending lots of money on fashion and image, then I probably wouldn't find much success in trying to strike up conversation with such a 'show pony'.
It is natural and human to seek friendships with those who share similar values and standards. Personally, I haven't seen evidence of any war. We all get along to get along, I reckon.
True enough, Struggler, but what amuses me is that I have 3 bikes, my husband has three and my son has a fairly well-appointed dual suspension MTB. We also have a couple of oldies under the house. It would be embarrassing to tell you what the replacement value of our shed-full of bikes would be (I think you can see them on My Photos on this site?).

The thing is, I am the same person, whether I am riding my oldish commuter with its mudguards as when I am riding the carbon road bike.

Why can't we all just talk to each other as if the other cyclist might just have the same sort of bike as ours at home?
Maybe you should try wearing a jersey that says "my other bike is a Roadie"

RSS

© 2020   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service