This is something I’ve been thinking about for a while, which is, cyclists are often their own worst enemies.

I’ve been trying to work up an acronym, best I can do is ‘‘IARAB’’, sounds a bit Semitic but it stands for ‘‘I Also Ride A Bike...’’

This is usually followed by ‘‘but’’, and then a whinge about things other cyclists do. Granted, this approach is usually by the casual cyclist, who maybe trundles off to the shops or with the kids along the beachfront once a week.

But there is a lot of mutual distrust and loathing in the keener echelons (pelotons?) of the cycling community as well, isn’t there?

So - JUST FOR FUN - have you any thoughts about the warring tribes of two-wheelers? One example per post, don’t hog all the fun at once, I’ll start the wheel roling with a few:

Lycra vs Mufti

Logos vs no-logos

Roadies vs those idiots on knobbly tyres who hoon around on nice walking paths and seem to somehow LIKE falling off a bike :-)

And also ... any idea how to curtail all this silliness? In the words of a certain prolific poster, can’t we all just get along ....?

Views: 1026

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My 11-y-o daughter asked "Who is that random person? He looks weird and retarded."

Not PC but, in other ways, very PC, and perceptive, I would say.

(Takes after me ;-) )

Coloured knicks wearers vs Sensible Blackies

Any knicks that cast a shadow should be consigned to the rubbish bin or worn only on the indoor trainer.

People, including even cyclists, make negative remarks about cyclists in lycra. Those of us that prefer lycra, undoubtedly because we find it very comfortable, just try to ignore these uncalled for comments.

Recently I have noticed how many non-cyclists, such as joggers, also wear lycra. I don't think they are getting bagged out. How come?

The OP is right. The adage is..... if you can't say something nice, don't say anything.

The adage is..... if you can't say something nice, don't say anything.

Except about TA.

People, including even cyclists, make negative remarks about cyclists in lycra. Those of us that prefer lycra, undoubtedly because we find it very comfortable, just try to ignore these uncalled for comments.

Speak for yourself :). I don't.

These types are clearly fashion victims and fashion fascists - seriously, who gives a [appropriation adjective] what other people wear? - with very little experience of cycling who don't know WTF they are talking about. Sure, they can probably do their piddly little ride to the flower or organic Nepalese noodle shop or whatnot without bottom protection and feel like a hero (I do, but without the heroics and not enough flowers according to my wife), but come back to me after ~250km of commuting each week and maybe a "fun" (apparently) ride at the weekend, and tell me how your arse feels.

Ok, so their arse has taken a pounding over the years and is tuffanuff. That's all cool. With the weather as changeable as it is and the hills it is not prudent (which is the polite way of saying 'kin stooopid) to ride to work in work clothes in which you have to be at lest semi-presentable when said ride takes close to an hour or more. Do I really have to buy a non-cycling set of clothes specifically to ride to work in to satisfy your retarded sense of the aesthetic rather than a set of clothes specifically designed for what I am actually doing? For serious? How is this anything other than just retarded fashion victimry?

"Maybe you need to live closer to where you work". OT, but I did, then they moved on me the ******! Mind you it was how I got into cycling, which is pretty cool.

Finally, you are riding a bike. The people who you think are going to think you are a dork for riding in lycra, probably think you are a dork for riding a bike to begin with.

And, no, a moped is not the solution, that is not cycling.

:)

Wow, speak your mind why don't you Si!  (Well said btw).  Glad you got that off your chest.  :-)

Uphillers vs Flatlanders ?

There's an old guy in NY who rides around on a penny...."Those fixie riders are soft"

Anyway, where do I fit;

Lycra - usually, unless its a really short distance where I know I wont sweat

Logos - couldn't give a rats

Roadies - yep, have 3

Fixies - yep, have 1 and do most of my riding on it, but I'm uncool, as I wear lycra, though I do have a fixie helmet

Track Bike - does that make me cool?

Single speed - nah, I'm not soft :)

Idiot on knobbly tyres - do I need to be on knobbly's to be an idiot?

Penny farthing - Only once, a racing one on a concrete velodrome.  Wow scarey

Helmets - Once upon a time it was optional, but I've had good value out of them in recent years, so always use them.

Spokey dokies - must get some, preferably glow in the dark ones.

Opps, nearly forgot the monkey bike

(bump!)

Aussies v Cloggies ... 

RSS

© 2020   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service