WasteCon - St Peters Interchange, "Even I was staggered by how big that is"

Details of the WasteCon(nex) St Peters interchange and builders for stage 2 ("M5 tunnel from Beverly Hills to St Peters to open in 2019") were announced yesterday by saint god Dunc, and it is mega gross.

Dunc says "Those people that put effigies of me in Newtown should be treating me as a deity,"

Highlights include 1950s  Los Angeles style "spaghetti junction of motorway ramps" tastefully positioned in an "area that will be returned to the public as parkland" (nice when no part of the "park" will be more than metres from an elevated roadway and a 35 metre high ventilation stack, one of 3 along the route) and all this just across the road from Sydney Park which loses a 12m slice all along its southern side.

But we haven't been forgotten as there will be "up to seven kilometres of new cycleways and pedestrian walkways" that would provide a direct link from Mascot train station to Sydney Park.

I haven't yet examined any detail to determine impacts on the Bourke Rd cycleway but the Campbell Rd becomes four lanes and joins Bourke Rd via a bridge over the canal and if the "directlink  cycleways" start at Mascot Station there might be something else, maybe along the canal?.

All in all there might be some positives, hard for them to spend that many $billions and not get something but the net negatives are immense. All these projects turn out to be much uglier that the "artists" impressions so I expect it to be very bad.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/builders-locked-in-for-st-peters-westconn...

Below Campbell Rd/St over the canal, Bourke Rd just off the bottom of the image, nice cycleway?
And some PR from WestConnex but not much meat

Views: 1700

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I already planned some little artistic effigies, so it must be true.

My initial reaction is, as others the shock and dismay of building a concrete overpass in the city.  But when I looked at the area its current a garbage tip, right?  Here's google maps of the place

And here's a close-up of the actual tip

So  I have to ask myself, is having an aboveground interchange so close to the city good?  Not really, is it better than the sh* heap that currently exists and probably would remain if not for the interchange, in my view yes. 

my2c

But is a nice new park/urban village/funky apartments/cycleway and walking connections better than a stinking, 1950s, LA-style, insane, self-defeating, vehicle-inducing, polluting, noisy, ugly and alienating spaghetti motorway junction?

In my view, yes.

That's my 2c worth.

Sydney Park was a brick pit then garbage dump in my memory and is now a lovely park, not going to happen if you dump a motorway on the site, stuck with it till the oil runs out. I prefer garbage dumps to motorways both fill up with different garbage but garbage dumps have a finite life and can be reborn

Two points:

1. The negative impact of WestConnex spreads far wider than one interchange. 
  2. Opportunity cost - urban infill right next to a big park and train station would be far preferable to a stinking motorway. It would also make money instead of cost money, and provide just as much opportunity for corrupt politicians to get their kickbacks and donations.
Yeah the current garbage dump is ugly, but we could build a pretty good park (or school or hospital) for $1million per metre

It's the noise, the air pollution and the addition of thousands of cars per day to the surrounding streets that's the problem, not really the interchange itself.

Not a garbage tip, a transfer station, where building rubble and materials are stored temporarily before being taken to other sites for reuse or permanent disposal, or so I think.
I have heard of scams where rubble is stored then transferred first to one place then another to keep the trucking companies in work.

Must be a better use for this area as housing, not flyovers.

The reason they need such a large site to terminate in is that they need that sizable area for the cars to sit in while they wait their turn to join in the gridlock in the surrounding streets

Indeed !

These depictions of peds walking alongside motorway exits on pristine white footpaths are a laugh! If a true representation, they'd show something like Strathfield, nary a soul, crash debris on the footpath and black rubber and brake dust coating every other surface.

Campbell Rd seems an odd choice, it would tie in nicely with the shooter's - if not lib's idea for Rosebery with almost a direct shot and plenty of scope for developer payola.

It's dawned on me why there's an elevated cycle way.  This is to help the residents on Edgeware rd to transport themselves to Mascot train station when they loose their parking outside of their houses. It doesn't take a PHD to figure out that they must be planning to make Edgeware rd  2 lanes in each direction and the solution to putting all these extra cars in the area is to deny the local residence the ability to own and use a car

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service