What to do about morning rat runners illegally (or sneakily) turning onto Parriwi Rd Mosman

I've noticed it the last two weeks while doing hill repeats - As the city bound traffic on Spit Road builds up going up the hill into Mosman, more and more cars seem to go up Parriwi, despite the no left turn (except cycles) into Parriwi.

What the smart arses are doing is turning left onto the shoulder just after the bridge and then going through the Skiff Club and restaurant driveways into the Middle Harbour Yacht Club car park, then coming out of the car park through the boom gate and turning left up Parriwi. 

I stopped and watched from the bottom there this morning and saw 6 to 8 cars queued up doing this waiting for the boom gate to go up! 

And, because these drivers are rat running, they are naturally in a hurry, tearing up the hill overtaking dozens of cyclists with little regard for anybody going downhill towards them. It's going to get nasty there soon.

Any advice on what to do? Who to talk to?

Views: 3865

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, maybe we can call this a win for cyclists.

New traffic lights have been installed at the Middle Harbour Yacht Club car park exit to severely slow the rat runners down and reduce traffic up Parriwi Rd!

Northern Beaches drivers are not happy.

No mention of the issues cyclists have been facing - Greedy millionaires are to blame!

I'm sure Northern Beaches bike commuters are happy!

Notice that the guy complaining about the touted 40 minute commute increase is only trying to get to a location adjacent to the carpark, a situation that should resolve itself once drivers get the hint.

Yeah, the self important clown.

No way it takes 40 minutes, but even if it does, maybe, just maybe, just like everybody else that wants to get somewhere earlier, HE SHOULD LEAVE HOME EARLIER.

Just an idea!

What's sad is they they've ruined it for the genuine car park users.

The police have been monitoring it a few days last week and earlier this week.

It seems to be making a difference.

I just hope that the cars that still persist will not try to make up time by flying up Parriwi even faster and with less care than before ..........

Hopefully the rat-runners will learn and stop using it, so the bloke who actually needs to get into the yacht club carpark, can.

How anyone defends the first part of the rat-run through the driveway to the car park is beyond me.

No way it takes 40 minutes, but even if it does, maybe, just maybe, just like everybody else that wants to get somewhere earlier, HE SHOULD LEAVE HOME EARLIER.

What's sad is they they've ruined it for the genuine car park users.

He is a genuine carpark user.

Hi Duncan, 

I don't know if he is. It's still easy to get into the car park. They have just made it very slow and tedious to get out of it. 

Sounds like the entire carpark was full of 'trapped' cars.

Sounds perfect.

A big Raspberry to the rat runners whinging about this and local member James Griffin for backing them. The change was not just about Parriwi Rd "millionaire" locals (how can the Manly Daily prove that anyway). It was unsafe having people use the carpark as main road and then screaming up Parriwi Road. And it’s not like it’s the only option. They could car pool to make use the T3 lane, use public transport (including the Ferry), leave for work earlier/later, or heaven forbid, ride a bike!

It's the bloody millionaire cyclists , no wonder we hate them

Pleasing that this change appeared to be inclusive of cyclists with combined ped/cycle lights at crossing and dedicated paths to enable negotiating it all if we choose to. The previous arrangement technically required cyclist to dismount in order to use the paths and crossings.

However, waiting at the lights at the bottom of Parriwi north bound a lady gestured to me that I should use the path facilities! I told her otherwise as politely as I could through her closed window.

The other compromise of this change is that cyclist can no longer turn left into Parriwi Road and so must use the slip road and path going southbound. I only used the slip road when the lights were red. Now have to use it all the time.

That being the case they will need to put some sort of crossing or signage in for the other 2nd entry point so we don't get cleaned up by vehicles turning right into it from the south or turning left from the north (mostly motor bikes and scooters).

Correction....

"put some sort of crossing or signage in for the other 2nd entry point so we don't get cleaned up"

They have in fact put lights at this crossing as well. They are mostly green so we can cross safely and programed to go red when right turning cars have the green from Spit road.

Must be new as I don't remember seeing them a few days a go.

Going south towards Parrawi the two red/green cycle crossing lights have shown opposites each time I have been through this week, if the first is red then the second is green or vice versa which implies that cyclists should always stop for one of them instead of being able to ride through as we have done in the past.

Once we enter the slip road the priority has been given to cars turning left from the main road into the car park and the first crossing light only goes green when the main traffic stops. At this point cars can exit the car park so the second crossing light turns red and we must wait again. This is a ludicrous situation and I haven't seen anyone obeying the red no crossing lights.

RSS

© 2018   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service