So, UNSW boffins have produced a hydrogen-powered bicycle, according to the SMH's Michael Power. (Is that a nom-de-plume of our own Mr O', or did he just not get the gig because he was away playing Nanook of the North?)

Will anyone be rushing to try to buy one or would you fear it could go down like a lead zeppelin in a flaming wreck?

Judging by this fairly incomprehensible sentence from the report, the latter is highly likely: "At present, the bike's 2.5 kilometres canister placed between the pedals holds 100 litres of hydrogen compacted to just 50 grams."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/university-of-nsw-launches-hydrogenpowere...

Views: 266

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was confused by that sentence, so a range of 2.5km?
Mention of lithium cells, so mainly an electric bike?

My translation would be a 2.5 kg canister containing 50 grams of compressed hydrogen.

But don't quote me.

I just want to know if it comes with a helmet for your arse. Compressed gas, not what I want under my butt.
I think it's awesome. So much more sensible powering a couple of kilo of bicycle with renewable fuel compared to a couple of tons of cage.

Hydrogen might be renewable, but the last time that I read up on it, the electrical energy required to create it was substantial.

Energy content of of 1 kg hydrogen is 39 Kw/hr, according to dr Google, so 50 g has about 2 Kw/hr, or 2000 watts for an hour. Could do an amazing time trial with that, if ive got my figures right. Have to allow for efficiency of engine etc.

Ryder Hejesdale was testing one out the other day, apparently.

The problem is storing that 1kg at a decent density.

well, they are only storing 50 g, which gives you 200 watts for 10 hours, which would last for a few days of commuting, maybe, or a decent days touring.

Pictures on the television news showed a cylindrical hydrogen canister, about the size of a household kitchen fire extinguisher, fastened to the seat tube.  Fuel cell was on the rear luggage rack, and propulsion provided by (what looked like) a perfectly standard 250W electric motor on the front hub.

I don't think the people who built it were trying to suggest it would be viable to produce, sell, and or use.  Nonetheless interesting, especially when others are having some success in working out how to produce hydrogen in a cleaner and cheaper way.

RSS

© 2020   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service