Will City Of Sydney finally get its cycleways approved?

Interesting news. Following on from last weeks announcement of some cycleway upgrades City of Sydney Council is now pushing TfNSW to do Castlereagh, Pitt and King, using the observed reduction in car traffic into the city due to the George St closure. 

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/fewer-cars-in-sydney-cbd-opens-...

Views: 498

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Who knew! Fewer roads = fewer cars. Extraordinary!

According to CoS Castlereagh St extension has in principle approval. What could go wrong?

from the latest minutes of the bicycle Cttee.

Castlereagh  Street Cycleway: Transport for NSW has given in principle approval for a
cycleway on Castlereagh Street north (between Liverpool and King), once light rail is
operational and bus changes have been made. The City expects to start design work later this
financial year.

A new bi-di on Saunders and Miller off the Anzac Bridge is out on exhibition.

still have to use Miller road lane if going to the Fishmarket or Glebe from City, and no protected provision to cross Miller or Banks if going to Fishmarket from Saunders.

outside their scope maybe, but they need to address access to the Fishmarket 

https://www.facebook.com/sydneycycleways/posts/2858522250842218

Plan and page for submissions:

A bi-directional?? bike path has been marked turning from Chalmers St. into Eddy Ave., under the overhead tram bridge.

I commute on the bike to of all places Castlereagh Street.

In my opinion the last thing we need is a King St to L'Pool st cycle way along Castlereagh. The one on the south end of Castlereagh is deserted and hardly ever used. If your going anywhere south or Eastern suburbs, beaches or the like its impractical. I used to do Kent to L'Pool then George, that's been well stopped.

I use the Castlereagh bus lane as i need to turn left into Hay then onto Elizabeth and home. If i use the cycle way i get stuck at the three changes of lights, have to dismount on the pavement then wait for a suitable gap to get back on. Why not just continue the Liverpool to Elizabeth and make it there. 

A good read below: Also in the journalists comments section there is a fascinating set of figures showing how accidents increase the more bike lanes we use. Its all about culture, not segregation.

The journalist is also doing a follow up to the original article.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/where-sydney-s-cyclists-are-mos...

Cheers

Peter

It seems to me that the injury stats roughly matches the volume of cyclists.  Adding bike paths means more cyclists and more cyclists means more injuries 

When you look at Strava for Sydney, the main hot tracks are the Bridge, Kent St naturally, Elizabeth and Anzac Parade. I'm trying to recall an article that once put the point forward that if your going to build a bike path, look at where people ride. 

Its like councils when they build a park, watch where people walk on the grass, put the pavers down there afterwards.

If we are correct that its related to the volume of bikes, I can see that while the bike path itself will usually be safer than the road that due to the disconnections in the path network the extra cyclists that the bike path induces still have a portion of the journey on the road and hence have a similar risk of being hit by a motor vehicle.  [a bit hard to articulate, hopefully I've written that right]

Castlereagh will probably get more bikes when the Chalmers/ Eddy/Belmore link is finished. Wouldn’t that be better than hay/Elizabeth, dep on where home is?

Good afternoon Bob, I hope your well.

I'm at the end of Elizabeth where it runs into Joynton Avenue. If i was anywhere south, (around the back of Airport) although we loose that soon, or east, i'd still want to use Elizabeth. 

Jut spoke with two key advisors from different sides of the fence this week in regards to preparing an alternative strategy to put forward instead of Castlereagh. One was to propose George Street, another way people use to get south via Botany road.

One adviser was adamant we push for a barrier to separate trams from pedestrians and bikes and propose a bike path there. In Melbourne, tram speed limit through pedestrian area is 5KPH, In Sydney it is being set at 20KPH.

It was proposed that we prove flaws in the idea of no barriers for pedestrians and that it is with is risk. We already have an accident this week.

However, the other adviser states that there will be no chance of a bike lane in George as the State Gov't is making bike traffic illegal in George St. This is the stance they are taking.

When the conundrum of cycle couriers having to drop urgent papers in to offices along George was raised this was dismissed, really! This was stated to the adviser.

They are using the unfortunate death of a cyclist caught in tracks in Newcastle as another reason.

If they fenced off the tracks with appropriate crossing points there can surely be no reason why a shared zone cannot exist all along George.

At the moment, all these colored lines on State and councils cheer sheets are just that, colored lines.

They can be moved around quite easily as absolutely no plans have been drawn up nor contractors engaged. They are there for propaganda aren't we doing good purposes. Elections have been won and lost on these.

Have a fabulous long weekend.

Cheers

Peter

My understanding of the cause of death of the Newcastle cyclist was that as he crossed the tram lines his wheels slipped from underneath him and he hit his head when he fell. The wheels did not get caught in the tracks.

Bike wheels and pedestrians slipping or getting caught can be addressed by Strail inserts- spring plastic or rubber inserts in the flange channel  that allow a tram flange to depress them but remain flat if it’s a bike.  I’m thinking it’s going to be necessary in several places where bikes cross. Not sure if they are used anywhere except in Germany and maybe The Netherlands. Stuff on the internet about it. BNSW has mentioned them as a possibility.

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service