If you've been to this place, you'll recognise it and be able to give chapter and verse — name of rock, location of rock within park, name of waterway nearby.

If not, you have Buckley's but you might be able to guess which NSW National Park it is in.

*Where In The World Is My Bike And My Wife's Bike And My Wife?

Views: 676

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Haha!

Well done and full points to our sheepish friend for the name of the waterway in this location. Deductions for the continued insistence on Trunkey Creek locality (it's closest to Olinda) and for not naming Wollemi National Park.

I would have awarded baa baa bonus points if he had given the aboriginal name for the area (Ganguddy), the name of the rock (Beehive) and the name of the river (Cudgegong) which has been dammed to form the lake and even the name of the weir (Kandos).

My wife and I, celebrating one of the subsequent anniversaries of her 39th birthday, recently stayed at Franks Breakaway Farmstay, 9.3km from here. It's an all-unsealed ride in with only one significant hill but plenty of rugged corrugations.

You can camp at Ganguddy, if you prefer. (The campground is on the other side of the water just out of shot to the left in the photo of the lake above.) It is a very quiet location outside school holidays and as winter closes in, and Dunns Swamp is a great bit of water for some canoeing/kayaking. You can paddle almost to the weir (there is a safety exclusion zone near the spillway) in less than an hour from the campground, gliding between high rock faces and overhangs. Very spectacular. I didn't take the camera while paddling but you may get an idea from the 3D satellite view.

There are non-technical tracks and fire trails around the lake which are good to explore by bike.

But Neil, that answer lacks a poetry reference, so for Bill...Henry Lawson, The song of old bullock driver, which I was wrong to think was more about the Not That Far Northern Trunkey Creek As Dunns But Capertree River and that real bastard hillclimb that keeps coming from Glen Davis when you struggle to get to into the Gardens of Stone National Park. Good going down, but up....
Then slowly we crawled by the trees that kept tally
Of miles that were passed on the long journey down.
We saw the wild beauty of Capertee Valley,
As slowly we rounded the base of the Crown.
But, ah! the poor bullocks were cruelly goaded
While climbing the hills from the flats and the vales;
'Twas here that the teams were so often unloaded
That all knew the meaning of "counting your bales".
(Also worth noting that Coorongooba Campground is also a somewhat spectacular scenic site in but the camp sites are chokers with wallaby and roo-poo. The place is also overrun with lyre birds, so just forget about any sleep ins)

My wife crests the one significant hill on the ride into Ganguddy from Olinda.

The cottage, on the left, in which we stayed (sleeps 14, or more if you count sofa-beds, but we had it to ourselves), the water tank and the 43-solar-panel installation on the equipment shed (yes, 43; it was as many as the electricity company would countenance on one meter, we were told) and the escarpment out the back in the late afternoon sun.

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service