Straight from the mailbox and hot off the scanner...

Not that it's actually much to get excited about if you've seen any of these paths, but at least it's bringing bicycles into the attention of the wider public.

City of Sydney
ARN 22 636 550 790 
GPO Box 1591 Sydney NSW 2001 Australia 
Town Hall House 456 Kent Street Sydney NSW 2000 Australia 
Phone +61 2 9265 9333 Fax +61 2 9265 9222 TTY +61 2 9265 9276 
council@cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au www.cityofsydneynsw.gov.au 

1st March 2010 

BOURKE ROAD, MANDIBLE and BOWDEN STREETS ALEXANDRIA CYCLEWAY OPENINGS 

Dear Resident, 

In November 2009, the City of Sydney began construction on separated cycleways on Bourke Road, Mandible and Bowden Streets. These cycleways will be opened shortly. 

They are among the first of a comprehensive 200 kilometre cycle network that the City of Sydney is building to reduce road congestion, cut carbon emissions and improve public health. 

These are important local roads in the Alexandria area, and the City has implemented a range of measures including changed lane markings and the installation of speed cushions to reduce vehicle speeds, and increase safety for all road users. 

Please be aware of these changes and consider the needs of others. 

In the factsheet attached - Introducing the Bourke Road, Bowden and Mandible Street Cycleways - you will find information specific to drivers, pedestrians and cyclists. 

Drivers are reminded to obey the road markings and road rules at all times - they exist for the safety of yourself and others. Drivers must also observe the road rules that apply to manoeuvring in and out of driveways and making turns: 

When entering or leaving a driveway, a driver must give way to ALL pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles already travelling along a footpath, cycleway or roadway respectively. 

Alexandria and Beaconsfield already have the second highest percentage of residents cycling to work in the City of Sydney with a 74 per cent increase in bike riders between 2001 and 2006. 

These new cycleways will play an important part in increasing safety and convenience for existing bike riders, reducing road congestions, and encouraging even more Sydneysiders to take up cycling as a safe, sustainable and healthy option. 

For more information please contact David Woolbank on (02) 9265 9333 or by email at prioritycycleways@cityofsydney.nsw.qov.au or visit our website at: 
www.cityofsydney. nsw.gov.au/cyclinc. 

Yours sincerely, 

MONICA BARONE 
Chief Executive Officer 

Views: 262

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

King St Newtown, cycling from Cheeky Transport to Newtown Hub to get onto Bedford St, harrassed by 'tradie' in a ute. Forced into the gutter with hundreds of people watching - he was driving with his horn with me screaming at him. I fell into the foot path, he stopped to see if I was still breathing then took off. Police were in the line of traffic behind. Questioned a few people told me I should ride on Wilson St. No action for breach of half a dozen laws - see Road Rules, Menacing, Use of Horn, Bicycle right to entire lane in laned roadway, etc. Later, we hear of a soccer mum, speeding down Wilson St does a hit and run on a cyclist. Then half an hour later returns to the scene. Where had she gone? Darlington Primary School to drop off the child BEFORE returning to see how much damage had been done to the cyclist.

Would you like more CONCRETE examples... or have I given you enough reason for mirth.
Some lane is a lot better than no lane, but you really need adequate laws and the police to enforce them.
But, Si, virtually any member of society can use a bicycle or another type of vehicle/toy in a bicycle lane since no licence or age restrictions apply. And, given there is already a huge subsidy to private motoring it is fair that non-motorised transport options should be provided for out of general revenue, just as roads, etc, are. Just one advantage is that non-motorised transport options can benefit more people at lower cost than can more facilities for motorised transport.
Virtually any member of society can use a bicycle on the vast majority of roads since no licence or age restrictions apply. Virtually any member of society can use a wheeled recreational device or wheeled toy on more roads than there are roads with cycle lanes and the footpath.

Do you really think that bicycles sharing cycle lanes with skateboards, kids on scooters, mobility scooters, segways (I have seen one, no really, I LOLed) etc is safer, more efficient, better etc than just riding on the road?

Do you really think that moving cyclists off the road onto cycle lanes/tracks is aiding the cause of cyclists being accepted as vehicles?
In the long term as it gets more people, and a larger proportion of the population, on bicycles, attitudes will change. You or I may not need bicycle lanes but that does not mean they should not be provided.
Letters required - not to Jones - but to Clover offering support.

Listen to this shit

http://www.2gb.com/podcasts/alanjones/alanjonesclovermoore260510.mp3
Listened to this the other day - email of support to Clover, online form filled out advising Alan what I thought of him.
First Alan says he has not seen any cyclists on the cycle lanes. Then an expert talking about increasing accidents at intersections when the Australian experience is mid block being hit from behind... only half way through his arguement has more glory holes than Kens.
Then he claims that he spoke to cyclists "there"... Alan is spinning porkers.

And as to wearing multiple hats. How is his horse stud/farm going.
I've always thought that "talk radio host" should be a derogatory phrase.

However, lets not resort to baseless or dubiously supported arguments ourselves. There is plenty of evidence from OS that the kind of path used increases accidents:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segregated_cycle_facilities#Safety_issues

(yes, yes, wikipedia link, but go to the references section if you want more evidence)

The Australian experience may well be different, but I would argue that it is more of an Australian inexperience at the moment with these new-fangled paths/lanes. Australian drivers, IME, are worse than European drivers so I would be surprised if the accident statistics are that different.

The "expert" also mentioned a boulevard type thing, i.e. low speed shared area. IMHO this would be the best of both worlds. Keep the parking* and allow safe cycling (and walking etc etc etc). Channel the faster traffic on to main roads.

*A lot of people need to drive in Sydney. Yes this is less than ideal, but those are the facts on the ground. I bought near work. Work moved 25km away with no sensible public transport options for me... which is how I ended up being into cycling... but that's another matter etc etc.
The bicycle boulevard concept was raised by the Bourke St (Surry Hills) residents opposing the bike path (due to their loss of parking). “Debate” on these things becomes difficult as opposing ideas can often be seem as (or actually be) smoke screens to just delay / defer / kill the entire concept, “sides” become polarised with little common ground. Claims of "lack of consultation" often means “you didn’t agree with me”.

The boulevard might have been a better option for Bourke St / Bourke Rd but would require a maximum speed limit of 30km/h and this is very slow for drivers. The current 50 & 40 km/h residential zones are little observed or enforced.

A general non main road limit (whatever a main road is) of 30 km / h would go a long way to making our streets much more people let alone bike friendly but the density of parked cars (and therefore cars parking and unparking) would still be a problem due to visibility and vehicle movement.
Their loss of parking is clearly a genuine concern for them, the rate payers - the ones who actually do pay for the road, so their concerns do need to be addressed.

IME, cycle lanes are rarely observed correctly and, again IME, I find riding on cycle lanes far scarier as I have only a debatable legal right to make myself visible.

Cyclists are never going to be accepted as road vehicle unless they are on the road. End of story.

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service