"In July 1814 a party of 30 convicts, together with the usual management overheads, commenced building a road from Emu Plains, over the mountains finishing at the site for Bathurst. Using only hand tools they completed the 160km road in only 6 months!  Governor Macquarie travelled on the new road from Sydney in 10 days (bicycle would have been quicker) and the town of Bathurst was proclaimed in May 1815. While ideal infrastructure for the then state of the art bullock carts the builders neglected to make provision for bicycles and this lack of vision from governments has continued for the next 200 years.

Following the successful 2014 Bathurst Biking  and to celebrate the Bathurst Bi-Centenary and show we are as tough as those convict nation builders we have planned 5 bicycle rides from 50 to 300kms starting  & finishing  at Bathurst for the weekend of 19 & 20 September 2015."

This year we turn our backs on rev-head culture and eschew a Panorama hot lap. But we make up for this with a nice climb into the eastern foothills of Mt Canobolas on the 200 or a western wander on the new 300 although both have a "mostly" downhill last 80kms. Saturday also has a 100 for the time poor.

On Sunday we visit Ben Chifley's steam engine and the house he lived in from 1914 to 1951 before we venture east on a 50 or 100km ride.

Full details and routes in the attached Ride Summary.

Only 6 weeks to go, see you there.

Views: 157

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

wonder what I have going on that weekend. Looks great Bill.

I kept looking for the climbs to Sofala Bill, but there was nothing!

Have to keep something for future years, even if it is a gratuitous hill, we aren't all mountain goats.

Well I am booked and confirmed for this ride Bill, was checking if anyone else is coming and ran across this. Only doing the Saturday ride as I have to keep my lovely wife company on Sunday :)

Only doing the 200 which will be the first 200 since early August, so I will be riding slow and steady.

4 people for 5 rides (3 x Saturday 200, 1 x Sunday 50, 1 x Sunday 100) so far which is a lot this early, most people register in the last days. The 200 is nice, one big climb and a few bumps but you probably won't even notice them, make sure you look for the encouraging road sign at about 108kms.

Garry not coming Bill - he is stuck on a social commitment, believe its his son's 21st birthday party.

How many people expected for now? Looks like we will be blessed with good weather.

Will have to try out some of the things said yesterday, especially the hydration - though it looks like its going to be a pretty cool ride :)

Currently

Saturday - 6 x 200 (3 hares like yourself & 3 others), 1 x 100 and I am vacillating between 100 (legs & head vote for this) or 200 (heart)

Sunday - 2 x 50 plus another 2 or 3 likely (depending how they recover from Saturday)

Waiting for the last minute rush

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service