I'm told that the interest in riding dirt is increasing, certainly true for me. A chance to get onto the road less travelled, listen to the crunch of stones under your tyres.
A pretty and challenging ride over mixed terrain in the lower Blue Mountains and Hawkesbury basin.
Will the ride live up to the hype?
With 67km of dirt on the 116km course and close to 90km on the 200km course the challenging aspect should not disappoint.
Pretty? well there is River Road which is the best stretch of road close to Sydney. Travelling through Wollemi National Park is quite special, not much of this ride is not special.
Come and prove me wrong.
Rides start at 6:30am, 100km course riders ride within daylight hours so no special lighting requirements, 200km riders will need fulfil Audax lighting and reflective top requirements.

Views: 1523

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

it got a little warm later in the afternoon but much of the ride was enjoyed in the shadow of trees and being in a valley meant we often were next to rock overhangs where the road was still wet even mid afternoon.

Weather wise I could not have asked for a better day.  Roads were also great, traffic very low in volume.  As Joshua said, "it doesn't get better than this."

Fantastic pics, Rob.

I can't believe you have the time, motivation and energy to see and take all those, let alone carry a camera to snap 'em!

Looks like that ride started pretty darned cool before turning rather warm. Whatever, I must get out there myself one day soon...

thanks Neil, only time the camera got annoying was climbing 16% grades on loose gravel, dropping my head down near the bars so that the front wheel would stay down, camera was bouncing from one knee to the other.

the tourist randonneur.

Yeah, though I think you demonstrate the true spirit of randonneuring more than I or many others often did/do as we often treat/ed these challenges as some kind of race and aim/ed too much to beat the clock, and other riders, by as much as possible. 

The true randonneur aims merely to finish within the time limit and to enjoy the ride. (After all, the last finisher gets the same medal as the first.) The "tourist randonneur" also has pictures to show for it! ;-)

Making me jealous I didn't ride.

Here is the ride report.

Attachments:

on again, April 5.

https://regonline.activeglobal.com/2014BilpinRide for registration.

I really want to do this, but it will have to wait for the next one as I cant make this date. Is it still a 15kph cut off with the dirt road sections??

Yes the whole ride is 15kph, none of the dirt is single track but CoRuGaTeD rOaDs DoN''t MaKe FoR eAsY rIdInG

The Bilpin Ride question for this year, will Michael bring along 32mm tyres or go a full 62mm, he won't even know he's riding on sand, Lower Colo and Bicentenary Rds should be a breeze.

Could be wrong, but I think in "grinders" dialect any wider than 35mm one must talk in inches, thus I have no idea just how wide 62mm is.

6.2cm

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service