So, one of my goals this season is to complete a Super Series (200, 300, 400 and 600) on top of the Year Round Randonneur. Partially for its own sake, I've been wanting to push beyond the 200km mark, and partially due to the fact that it will be necessary for entering the Sydney to Melbourne 1200 in November.

Looking forward across the rest of the season, the following is the list of all rides 300km or longer in NSW

Date

Distance

Name

Start

Time

Sat March 2

Animals on Bikes 300

Parkes

06:00

Sat March 2

Animals on Bikes 400

Parkes

Sat March 2

Central West Slopes and Plains

Parkes

Sun March 3

TTT Triple

Parkes

Sat March 9

Lower Hunter Randonnee

Gordon

Sat March 9

Coal Valley Randonnee

Gordon

Sat March 23

First Names

Terrigal

07:00

Sat March 23

Canberra/Yass 600

Dapto

05:00

Sat April 6

Singleton Tour

Hornsby

Sat April 6

Singleton Tour

Hornsby

Sat April 6

Big Black Crow

Wagga Wagga

Sat April 20

The Border Ride

Inverell

Sat April 27

Mudgee Classic

Mudgee

Sat May 18

Wing It West

Parramatta

Sat May 18

The Mad Cow

Terrigal

07:30

Sat May 25

Brutal but Fair

Hornsby

Sat May 25

Brutal but Fair

Hornsby

Sat June 15

Festum Prophetae

Hornsby

Sat June 15

Festum Prophetae

Hornsby

Sat June 15

Festum Prophetae

Hornsby

Sat June 22

Highlands 300

Dapto

Sat July 20

Gunning 400

Dapto

Sat July 27

Winery Wander

Berowra

05:45

Sat August 24

Southern Highlands Wanderer

Dapto

Sat August 31

The Longer Loop

Waitara

Sat August 31

The Longest Loop

Waitara

Sat August 31

The Two Day Loop

Waitara

Sat September 7

The Queen Stage

Gordon

Sat September 28

The Cowra Weekend

Cowra

Sat October 5

Cessnock Constitutional

Waitara

Sat October 5

Singleton Saunter

Waitara

Sat October 19

Woy Woy Rd Rd Trip Trip

Dee Why

10:00

Sat October 26

Brutal but Fair

Hornsby

Sat October 26

Brutal but Fair

Hornsby

A number of these rides can be done as permanents:

300 - Woy Woy Rd Rd Trip Trip, Winery Wander (also Hawkesbury Valley Randonnee and a ride to Cessnock)

400 - Singleton Tour (also a different Singleton Route).

600 - The Two Day Loop

At this point I'm looking at doing the Lower Hunter Randonnee (300km) on March 9 and Singleton Tour (400km) on April 6. I would have liked to do the Wing It West 300 for a change of scenery, not to mention Rob is organising it, but I've got concert tickets that day.

That then leaves me with all of the North Sydney options for the 600. My preference would be to do either the Festum Prophetae or Two Day Loop as both will have riding through the west of Sydney as well as the north, for a bit of variety without having to get to a non-Northern Sydney start. Anyone else in?

Views: 2856

Replies to This Discussion

Festum Prophetae?

Yeah, go your own pace, but keep the time limit in mind.Or, if Bec is riding, try and stay with or ahead of her ;).

Food! Water! Definitely fill up your bidons up at Kulnura and Wisemans ferry as there are not many, if any, places to do so between them.

Bec is the human time limit. Stick with her and you will never DNF.

Si is correct, nothing between Kulnura and St Albans. I'd resist the water from any tap at St Albans, tends to be rather brown. Maybe order a jug of water for the table if you get there with others.

It is only 20km to Wisemans from there, nice ride.

River Road is great, enjoy the climb out from Lower Portland ;o).

It is hard to go faster while on your bike Bill, I think you might do well to reduce the time at checkpoints. I can't remember what the only 3 things you should be doing on an Audax ride, one was pedalling, another eating, pretty sure talking and dawdling at checkpoints is not.

Pedal, eat or sleep. 

If you can do 150 you can do 200 - its the head and not your legs that will stop you making that step (of course better legs makes it easier on the head).

4:45 looks to be the only train option, I'll aim to be on it as I'd rather not ride to the start again.

downgraded myself to the Festum Prophetae 200, what a blast. http://app.strava.com/activities/60419635

I managed to finish with about 40 minutes to spare, was slow all day, especially on the dirt and further long delay on ferry due to lengthy clean up of oil spill from truck on previous load, but enjoyable day, more practice needed. Climbed to top of Galston Gorge and had to stop for few minutes, young lady driving past, ("a fellow cyclist") stopped to see if I was all right, declined, with thanks, offer of lift, mother always told me to not except lifts from young ladies and then raced to Hornsby so not to attract more sympathetic attention.

Well done! That was definitely not an easy 200. I had to made it even harder for myself too by taking a wrong turn and getting a bonus 20km of dirt roads for my troubles!

I kept looking back to you along the Pacific Highway and a number of times it seemed like you were closing in enough to latch on to the group. When we didn't see you at either Kulnura or Wiseman's Ferry I was a little worried that you weren't going to make it.

Felt really good in the morning, climbed Mount White pretty comfortably with Si, then had the bolt connecting my saddle to the seat post slip a couple of times just before Peats Ridge Road. We managed to catch up with everyone that passed us while I fixed it and got into Kulnura in pretty good time. Took a little longer there than most, soon caught up to Bec and Dave(?) and we rode up to Buckity together. We dropped Bec on the decents down to the turnoff to Settlers Rd, and then I stopped to tie my shoe laces which meant I was on my own for the dirt.

Settlers Road... well, the only worse road I have ever taken my bike on was when I jumped a locked State Rail gate on Station St between Medlow Bath and Blackheath. The corrugations were shocking, very tough on the arms and I literally ended up going slower on the descents than I went on the ascents. It would have been nice if the road was a little less stressful, it would have made if easier to appreciate the beautiful surrounds! The dappled shadows on the roads made it really hard to discern the corrugations (though it was safe to assume that they were always there), so you couldn't really pay much attention to anything other than the road. Was very happy to have the 32mms on, I can't imagine what the guy doing the 600km on the recumbent is going to make it it.

Caught up with everyone at Wiseman's, and Bec got in shortly after. I decided to just stick with her for the rest of the day rather than go by myself, so got a bit of an extra break there too. Our reward for climbing up to Wiseman's Ferry Road was a headwind on the descent, which then followed us along Halcrows and Cattai Ridge, where we picked up Dave(?). I spent the bulk of the last 60km pacing on the front, pulling away a bit on the climbs and then slowing to pick up the group again. I seemed to descent pretty well today too, I more or less kept pace with Bec down Galston, when usually she goes a fair bit faster than me, and on the way out down to Brooklyn I latched on to Tim and Ricky and just took their lines.

We finished at 5:20, Bec and I had a beer and hung around until around 6:00, I was hoping to catch Bill, but then it started to get pretty cold and as my muscles cooled the all-over aches set in, so I jumped on a train.

Definitely more fun when you have company :)

Settlers Road, loved that section Rob. I just let the bike fly over the corrugations and jumped the ruts when they appeared.  I had such a great time on that road. 35mm touring tyres and 40PSI.

I'm not sure there was a section without headwind, St Albans road, the flat bits of Settlers, Wisemans Ferry Road, Halcrows, Cattai Ridge, when wasn't there a headwind?

Mt Cliftonville?

I'm not sure I was aware of anything other than how steep that climb was, that section may of been headwind free. Pretty sure River Road was calm, I would have only been a few minutes behind you.

It was good when Tom and Ricky caught up at about Old Northern Road after Cattai Ridge Road, I think they decided to stay behind the tall fella for a short while as reward.

Tom mentioned how his legs were getting tired climbing Galston, then he dropped me. Gave it all I had to catch him again at the top. The phycological games people play.

a hard 200 Bill for your first, you did very well.

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service