So, one of my goals this season is to complete a Super Series (200, 300, 400 and 600) on top of the Year Round Randonneur. Partially for its own sake, I've been wanting to push beyond the 200km mark, and partially due to the fact that it will be necessary for entering the Sydney to Melbourne 1200 in November.

Looking forward across the rest of the season, the following is the list of all rides 300km or longer in NSW

Date

Distance

Name

Start

Time

Sat March 2

Animals on Bikes 300

Parkes

06:00

Sat March 2

Animals on Bikes 400

Parkes

Sat March 2

Central West Slopes and Plains

Parkes

Sun March 3

TTT Triple

Parkes

Sat March 9

Lower Hunter Randonnee

Gordon

Sat March 9

Coal Valley Randonnee

Gordon

Sat March 23

First Names

Terrigal

07:00

Sat March 23

Canberra/Yass 600

Dapto

05:00

Sat April 6

Singleton Tour

Hornsby

Sat April 6

Singleton Tour

Hornsby

Sat April 6

Big Black Crow

Wagga Wagga

Sat April 20

The Border Ride

Inverell

Sat April 27

Mudgee Classic

Mudgee

Sat May 18

Wing It West

Parramatta

Sat May 18

The Mad Cow

Terrigal

07:30

Sat May 25

Brutal but Fair

Hornsby

Sat May 25

Brutal but Fair

Hornsby

Sat June 15

Festum Prophetae

Hornsby

Sat June 15

Festum Prophetae

Hornsby

Sat June 15

Festum Prophetae

Hornsby

Sat June 22

Highlands 300

Dapto

Sat July 20

Gunning 400

Dapto

Sat July 27

Winery Wander

Berowra

05:45

Sat August 24

Southern Highlands Wanderer

Dapto

Sat August 31

The Longer Loop

Waitara

Sat August 31

The Longest Loop

Waitara

Sat August 31

The Two Day Loop

Waitara

Sat September 7

The Queen Stage

Gordon

Sat September 28

The Cowra Weekend

Cowra

Sat October 5

Cessnock Constitutional

Waitara

Sat October 5

Singleton Saunter

Waitara

Sat October 19

Woy Woy Rd Rd Trip Trip

Dee Why

10:00

Sat October 26

Brutal but Fair

Hornsby

Sat October 26

Brutal but Fair

Hornsby

A number of these rides can be done as permanents:

300 - Woy Woy Rd Rd Trip Trip, Winery Wander (also Hawkesbury Valley Randonnee and a ride to Cessnock)

400 - Singleton Tour (also a different Singleton Route).

600 - The Two Day Loop

At this point I'm looking at doing the Lower Hunter Randonnee (300km) on March 9 and Singleton Tour (400km) on April 6. I would have liked to do the Wing It West 300 for a change of scenery, not to mention Rob is organising it, but I've got concert tickets that day.

That then leaves me with all of the North Sydney options for the 600. My preference would be to do either the Festum Prophetae or Two Day Loop as both will have riding through the west of Sydney as well as the north, for a bit of variety without having to get to a non-Northern Sydney start. Anyone else in?

Views: 2856

Replies to This Discussion

did not realise that Festum Prophetae was a thing.

FP600

Just found my draft schedule for FP. Seems I was being optimistic, have myself turning off for home at 340km (Round Corner) at 00:30.
Then I have to leave home by 5am to get back on course and to the Richmond closing time of 07:24. That will be about 50km in under 2.5 hours, 20kmph average.
Optimistic
Then the 65km from Richmond to Springwood managing an average greater than 15kmph.
Unimaginable
Down from Springwood, up to Kurrajong, across comeleroy to the dirt, down to the Wheeny Creek crossing and back up then Upper and Lower colo dirt all at above 15kmph to Sackville.
Inconceivable
Climb out from Sackville to go along River Road and then that climb, Clifftonville Road. You just know it will hurt when it has that word in it.
Insurmountable
and keep climbing
Unreasonable
A finally Galston Gorge
Insane!

On Brutal But Fair, Katherine was very disciplined (and as a result so were all who rode with her) about minimizing the time at checkpoints. We were doing > 25kph rolling avg too until ~250km. I think it was 24.8 when got to the motel. That's kind-of what you need to do if you want to have 5+ hours sleep.

This is the big difference I found over single day rides. I don't even consider not being able to make it within time on single day rides. Even at a reasonable fast speed I had to consider this on Brutal.

And, that is why we all ride roadies instead of touring-esque bikes.

Leave at 04:00? Leave a bit spare for mechanicals and flats?

well I have my roadie bike, taken off guards and extras. The touring-esque bike stays at home although I think being a p1ss weak rider is the real issue.

The FP600 has possibly up to 100km dirt, from the test ride over last weekend some of that was pretty rough.  That is why so few roadies are joining the ride I guess, you really need to shod your bike for these sections with something that can handle corrugations and only be pumped up to 50PSI max.

Audacious, even.

There is no way I'm riding 600km this weekend.

I last did a proper ride three weeks ago, a very slow, solitary 200km permanent. Took my time for breakfast and lunch, was using the road bike so was riding a 53/42 with an 11-30 cassette which made it tough work on steep pinches but not so bad on the longer steady climbs, then at the end of the day I was fairly sick at Andy's, before got two flats in quick succession, and then just missed the ferry at Berowra so had a bit of a wait there too, which all combined to allow three hours to elapse between having my card signed at Arcadia to arriving in Hornsby. The highlight of the day for some reason was the climb up Laughtendale Gully Rd, a few kilometres of gravel that the 23s on the road bike were definitely not suited for but was nevertheless really enjoyable. Go figure!

I haven't really been enjoying the long rides so much in the last few months. I have no doubt that that is partially down to covering around 720km of my last 900km by myself. 100km over a few hours is a great time, but any longer than that has just not been as fun as it needs to be in order to justify the time and effort. The mental side of riding by yourself for that long as been fairly draining, and I've just found myself thinking of a bunch of things that I would rather be doing (or should be doing). With Fiona's new bike getting closer to completion I'd rather spend 3 or 4 hours riding with her than going for 10 hours (or 20, or 40...).

Since that last ride I wrote 8000 words in a week to finish a paper (that was also hanging over the ride, I was riding and so I wasn't writing), and then spent most of last week in Melbourne on a little break, which means I haven't really done any serious riding for a few weeks. In Melbourne I didn't ride at all, and only spent 20 minutes on the bike on Sunday over the long weekend. The ride to work this morning, more or less my first ride in a week, made me feel completely out of shape, which I know is not entirely true, but still, I'm not at my peak and trying to do 600km this weekend doesn't make sense.

To be honest, though, I've been feeling like trying to do 600km any weekend doesn't make any sense, let alone the 1200. The major motivation remaining is that I set myself a goal at the start of the season (YRR + Super Series + 1200 in 12 months) and don't particularly like the idea of failing to achieve what I set out to complete. I will have no problem completing the YRR, I'm already 2/3 of the way through it. 900km/1500km has been done on the Super Series, "just" the 600km ride remains. Close, but still far. The 1200 is obviously reliant upon the 600 being done, and right now just seems too far away that it doesn't warrant even thinking about it.

I'm interested in doing the 200km ride this weekend, though, anyone else up for that? The next 600km would be the Two Day Loop at the end of August, so that gives me time to get some good training in, not to mention for my mood to turn around a bit.

I'm in a similar position Rob. Not enough riding to contemplate a 600 soon. 

I won't be riding this weekend. I'd love to do the 200 or 300 but am going on family holiday in peru next month and want to avoid any mishaps before we leave. You'll understand that.

Hopefully I'll see you on the Loopy 600 at end of August. But I'm probably 50-50 at best for that one.

I'm 90% sure I'm doing the 200 this weekend and 99% sure I'll attempt the 2 day loop in August.

I'm not quite up to this particular 600 this weekend, a bit of work stress, lots of dirt on the ride, no support, a very high probability I'd be by myself for 2 days of riding really seemd a bit much to me. I think a long ride is worth it if I know I may catch up to someone, I may ride with someone and talk, I may be able to help someone during a low point, someone may be able to help me during any one of my low points.

The 82 and 108km rides I did on the weekend, even so by myself, were excellent. Finished before breakfast or at least before morning coffee time and with the family the rest of the day.

Hope to see you there on Saturday Rob.

Good to know someone else will be doing it. I forgot to add that my 200km permanent was more like 240km due to my 5:40 train not arriving in Redfern. I manager to only lose the hypothetical race to Hornsby against the absent train by 8 minutes. It did make things a bit tougher at the end of the day, though, not to mention only having 3 hours of sleep the night before.

Settlers Road is well worth the effort, bring your 28s though. I think the dirt does limit the amount of riders, how many have bikes they are willing to ride 200km on that can take a 28 or more?

Might take my touring-esque bike (love that description Si), might take the not so touring-esque bike, not sure.

I plan on doing the 200, on my CX which is heavier and slightly higher geared (36/28 lowest, rather than 34/29 on my van nic). Looking forward to Settlers road.

Hi Rob, I will be doing my first 200 this weekend and following excellent advice from Rob for my first Audax, (Wing It West 150), there he said "ride at your own pace", I expect to be using up much of the allotted time limit, I will be happy to just finish within that. In preparation I have done the first and last third of the ride as part of other rides so I will just have to string it all together but it is 50km / 500 m ascent more than I have done previously in a day. Any other works of wisdom / experience gratefully received. Looks like it might be cool and perhaps wetish.

PS It looks like the 4:45 Newcastle train from Central in order to be at start before 6:00?

PSS I have dropped down to 32 from my usual 622-37 tyres

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service