So, one of my goals this season is to complete a Super Series (200, 300, 400 and 600) on top of the Year Round Randonneur. Partially for its own sake, I've been wanting to push beyond the 200km mark, and partially due to the fact that it will be necessary for entering the Sydney to Melbourne 1200 in November.

Looking forward across the rest of the season, the following is the list of all rides 300km or longer in NSW

Date

Distance

Name

Start

Time

Sat March 2

Animals on Bikes 300

Parkes

06:00

Sat March 2

Animals on Bikes 400

Parkes

Sat March 2

Central West Slopes and Plains

Parkes

Sun March 3

TTT Triple

Parkes

Sat March 9

Lower Hunter Randonnee

Gordon

Sat March 9

Coal Valley Randonnee

Gordon

Sat March 23

First Names

Terrigal

07:00

Sat March 23

Canberra/Yass 600

Dapto

05:00

Sat April 6

Singleton Tour

Hornsby

Sat April 6

Singleton Tour

Hornsby

Sat April 6

Big Black Crow

Wagga Wagga

Sat April 20

The Border Ride

Inverell

Sat April 27

Mudgee Classic

Mudgee

Sat May 18

Wing It West

Parramatta

Sat May 18

The Mad Cow

Terrigal

07:30

Sat May 25

Brutal but Fair

Hornsby

Sat May 25

Brutal but Fair

Hornsby

Sat June 15

Festum Prophetae

Hornsby

Sat June 15

Festum Prophetae

Hornsby

Sat June 15

Festum Prophetae

Hornsby

Sat June 22

Highlands 300

Dapto

Sat July 20

Gunning 400

Dapto

Sat July 27

Winery Wander

Berowra

05:45

Sat August 24

Southern Highlands Wanderer

Dapto

Sat August 31

The Longer Loop

Waitara

Sat August 31

The Longest Loop

Waitara

Sat August 31

The Two Day Loop

Waitara

Sat September 7

The Queen Stage

Gordon

Sat September 28

The Cowra Weekend

Cowra

Sat October 5

Cessnock Constitutional

Waitara

Sat October 5

Singleton Saunter

Waitara

Sat October 19

Woy Woy Rd Rd Trip Trip

Dee Why

10:00

Sat October 26

Brutal but Fair

Hornsby

Sat October 26

Brutal but Fair

Hornsby

A number of these rides can be done as permanents:

300 - Woy Woy Rd Rd Trip Trip, Winery Wander (also Hawkesbury Valley Randonnee and a ride to Cessnock)

400 - Singleton Tour (also a different Singleton Route).

600 - The Two Day Loop

At this point I'm looking at doing the Lower Hunter Randonnee (300km) on March 9 and Singleton Tour (400km) on April 6. I would have liked to do the Wing It West 300 for a change of scenery, not to mention Rob is organising it, but I've got concert tickets that day.

That then leaves me with all of the North Sydney options for the 600. My preference would be to do either the Festum Prophetae or Two Day Loop as both will have riding through the west of Sydney as well as the north, for a bit of variety without having to get to a non-Northern Sydney start. Anyone else in?

Views: 2871

Replies to This Discussion

That was part of the "apart from..." ;)

Don't worry, I walked the steepest 100m or so of it. I think it tops out at 21%...

I am a little sick of northern Sydney, I don't think there is a road up there that I haven't been on and none are particularly calling me to ride them again. More interested to do more riding in the Blue Mountains and the Southern Highlands, but happy to involve the train a fair bit in those plans too.

Super Series not complete for me either. I did not set out to achieve this at the beginning of the year so I am not upset by it.

What I did set out to achieve was getting into the SM1200. After 2 attempts at a 600 in 5 weeks and completing 525km on each I contacted the SM1200 organisers and let them know. They said they were satisfied with those 2 attempts and have let me start, no negotiations.

The ride last weekend, hot, headwinds for the 1st 200km or so and apart from the night portion to Scone, solo.

Plenty of wildlife, great scenery, large areas past Broke had me thinking River Road near Wismeans Ferry apart from the lack of river. I found the roads to be good, motorists well behaved and considerate, well except those 3 youths in the ute that yelled out something, 5 minutes down the road they were sitting quietly at the side of the road with a police officer handing them a ticket. I met many people, all friendly.

So the steelie and I are heading to Melbourne on November 17 (5 weeks away). Looking forward to having riders around me and support at checkpoints, solo unsupported riding is bloody hard.

Still recovering from last weekend.

The Epic Warmup 200 this weekend would be a nice easy stroll for you after your recent real epics except that it goes past Wyong! I avoid rides with Epic or Extreme in their title and have avoided Bumble Hill till now but it is time for me to face my demons

I've done the Epic Warmup before last years Fitzs Epic, that is not an easy ride. Up Bumble Hill, back right off for the 5km or so before Bumble Hill Bill. Don't spend to long at the store at the bottom (if at all) before the climb as you will cool down to much, that hill starts in earnest as soon as you get on Bumble Hill Road. Ditch fluids from the extra bottle, you only need one and Kulnura store is at the top.

If you do stop for a while at the general store at the bottom of the hill then ride around the petrol pumps a few times to get your legs warmed up :o)

Good luck and walk if you have to, I did last weekend.

Bumble Hill is not as bad as you think it will be. Don't have your lunch before climbing though :). Wait until Kulnura like Ron said.

true, don't be scared of it

Well I did it, was fairly pleased with the first 160km but suffered a lot in last 50, much more than my previous five 200s, not sure why will have to review.

Only walked about 200m of Bumble Hill, Ricky O'Brien said it was on the 18% section, otherwise OK and next time I reckon I can crack it all the way. It heated up a bit from mid morning (Richmond had 33.9 most of the afternoon even Mangrove Mt got 30).

Very bad time going up from Wisemans, multiple lunatic drivers insisted on trying to pass even though there was no room and cars coming the other way, a few very close shaves, would have preferred going via Laughtondale Gully even though 5km longer and dirt. Put me off a bit and was crap from there, maybe heat and trying too hard, took ages to get back to start.

Even though I drank heaps all Saturday on Sunday morning I was 2kg lighter, never happened before, still 1.5kg down this morning (and I am pretty scrawny anyway) .

Anyway, except for the last bit I enjoyed it, but more training needed still.  I have been experimenting with SPD cleat position after reading some stuff on Steve Hogg site, had them fully back on Saturday (only 1 cm different though) and it make a big difference, several cogs and the thigh muscle soreness I have had after every other 200 has not occurred this time.

Thanks for advice and encouragement, this wraps but my first half year Audaxing with 1,500km, planning for next.

PS I too am "doing" SM 1200 but as volunteer help, probably day 2, time to give back a bit for all the help to date.

Well done Bill.
The ride up from wisemans seems to be like that, crappy drivers, and it continues for quite some time, slowing down is not an option for most drivers, those seconds matter.

Good onya Bill.  I do my 1200's by instalments - over a couple of weeks.

I was interested in your comment about cleat position.  I've got mine under the ball of my foot.  Where did you end up with yours after this adjustment?

Dabba, I saw this http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/04/power-to-the-pe... and while it relates to road type shoes I decided to give it a try with my SPD shoes, method 2, end product is I am 2 cm behind ball of foot and , for me, it makes a difference of at least several cogs on same hill, and , from only one experiment, less / no thigh soreness after a 200. Hogg claims method 2 (a bit behind ball of foot) or 3 (mid foot ) is good for tourers and Audaxers..worth a try at least?

Thanks Bill.  I'll follow through on that when time permits.

Steve has been doing my bike fitting for well over a decade and did the frame geometry for both my road/Audax bike and commuting bike. 

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service