The ride starts in 5 weeks and I am busy training and preparing. The riding/training is under control but several other areas still need to be covered, where I will stay on Saturday night in Sydney before the start day, accommodation in Melbourne when I roll in at about 10PM on Wednesday 20, how long I'll stay in Melbourne, how I'll get back.

Below is a list of bits I will be carrying, throw suggestions at me as to what I should change.

Bag 1, saddle.

Inside bag

Tubes x 2

Patch kit (patches, glue, grit)

Tyre levers x 3

Multitool with chain breaker

Spoke tool

Small pocket knife

10sp chain links

Tissues (double as toilet tickets)

Zinc cream

Headache tablets

Bandaids

Inside zipped pockets

Cash

VISA/eftpos

Drivers licence

Medicare card

Cycling Australia card

Outside pockets (3)

Reflective arm/leg band

Small tube of sunscreen

Snacks/bananas/food

Endurolytes

Pocket will hold rolled up jacket or leggings or arm sleeves

Winter gloves for day 2

Bag 2, handlebar

500gr Skrathlabs

Plastic bag, large and small

Brevet card

Cue sheet

Day glasses/night glasses

Jacket if I don't have room in saddle bag

Leg warmers if not in saddle bag

Space blanket

bandana

Bag 3, frame

Phone in plastic bag

Jersey pockets

Center, 500ml bottle

Sides, snacks

Overnight bag, limited to 5kg, size of cabin luggage

Shorts x 3

Jerseys x 3 2

Socks x 3

Gloves x 3

Skratchlabs mix x 2

Big tube sunscreen

240V charger for phone

Battery powered USB power (12000 Chinese mAh)

Spare tail lights/batteries

New chain

Chain oil

Chain links

Shoe cleats

Spare 32mm tyre

Spare tubes x 3

Book for reading at night chess board and pieces ;o)

Plastic bags for dirty clothes

Cue sheets for days 2, 3 and 4.

A few nuts and bolts, zip ties, velcro

Shorts/t-shirt/shoes for Melbourne

Kit

Shorts

Merino base layer

Jersey

Socks

Shoes

Buff headwear

Rain jacket

Sunscreens/coolers for arms

Leg warmers

Helmet

Glasses

Gloves

Reflective striped top

On bike

750ml bottle x 2

Spare 23mm tyre

Velcro strips

Garmin

Simple odometer

Dynamo front/rear light with reflector + USB charge socket

Ayup front light

Blinking rear light with reflector

Knog rear light

Views: 616

Replies to This Discussion

If you need accommodation at Tullamarine that's bike friendly and really convenient, I've always found this to be a good place at the end of any tours that i have where I need a Melbn departure.

Why are you carrying 5 tubes and 2 spare tyres?  :-)  In all of my touring I've only ever needed to replace 2 tyres - each on different trips, and the need for use of spare tubes was pretty sparse too.  I'd suggest 1 tyre and 2 tubes.  Never needed a new chain either.  Put a new one on at the start and carry a few SRAM or KMC links that don't need a chain breaker to use.

You won't be able to take chain oil on the plane - something about it being dangerous!

When touring I usually only carry a spare set of cycling clothes + the ones I wear.  I wash them out when I shower and hang them in the tent to dry.  If they don't dry overnight, I either wear them damp the next day, or put them in a mesh laundry bag and drape the whole bag over my rear panniers to dry as i'm riding along.  May or may not be possible/practical for you.

Dabba,

just to be clear, the overnight bag is dropped off at each night checkpoint, I don't carry it with me.

Why so many tubes, I am only carrying 2 at a time, my tyres are wide but thin and have no puncture protection at all. The spare chain is excessive, I'll take it out.

I won't have time for washing clothes, 1200km in 90 hours at my pace means the only things i will be doing is pedaling, eating, sleeping. I may not require that many jerseys, cut back. But I will wear a fresh set of shorts each day.

"1200km in 90 hours"

You're a better man than I am Gungadin!  Good luck!  PBP next?

Would also agree to pack a few more tubes as the Monaro highway can be pretty bad for wire flats (ex shredded truck tyres) and finding these holes and patching under lights is never much fun, and oh yes Cooma could still be bloody cold, tick for full finger gloves. That said it can be hot during the day and you could get any sort of headwind south or Goulburn. On spokes, yeah I would be lashing a front and then both sides rear spokes somewhere around your frame, maybe hard to pick up the right type on the way and even a small broken spoke wheel shimmy will turn you into a loon going up and down over the great divide, maybe a few nipples as well.

Only real suggestion I can think of is make sure your helmet has some sort of bug netting to help keep the bees or wasps out

spokes and nipples, OK I'll look into that.

bug netting, that's one I'd never have thought of.

A few, like several Limar models have netting built in.

This time of year definitely not a bad thing in the country.

Mine (777) has that. Bit of a pain for fitting a helmet light.

some minimum kit info for the climbing on day/night 2.

http://www.audax.org.au/public/index.php?option=com_content&vie...

I did this route touring a few years ago, and it's a lovely ride - particularly from Dinner Plain to Omeo.  The climb up from Harrietville is a popular motorbike rider's route, so be careful of what's coming behind.  There are lots of bends that they like leaning into.  I did hear that one motorbiker was decapitated by an oncoming car when he took the corner too wide.

I'll try and keep my head close to my shoulders

Mmmmm!  I was thinking more of the left hand bends where you're in the blind bit of the corner and the bikie is cutting the corner, and before you know it, they're on you from behind!  Had that happen more than once.

RSS

© 2019   Created by DamianM.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service