Here are some links describing OpenStreetMap
* OpenStreetMap wiki page
* Australian Tagging Guidelines
* UK related cycle route definitions
* Tagging of Sydney Cycle Routes
* Map Features and Tagging
* Australian OSM email list
- Generate printable maps using OSM data. Doesn't appear to work with Firefox (Works with IE).
* Transparent Map Comparisons
- Compare OSM, Google Maps etc.
- High Res Aerial Photographs (with OSM overlays) of some Australian urban areas.
* Downloadable OSM Cycle Maps to Garmin GPS'
I've recently purchased a GPS and am in the process of mapping parts of Western Sydney, with an emphasis on the shared paths, cycle friendly roads and other cycling related infrastructure.
I can see a huge future potential if we can get comprehensive and accurate cycling related maps of Sydney and surrounds; things like the New York based http://www.ridethecity.com
could become a reality in Sydney...Maps showing cycling routes can be downloaded to GPS units...Maybe even auto routing (ie Selecting current location and destination, and the GPS works out the best cycling route between the two).....
Are you interested in becoming involved?
Are you interested in discussing the best ways of tagging the cycling routes around Sydney?
Have you already been involved in the project?
If so, please join the group, and let the discussions begin!