Cycling in Sydney Australia
Credit to Si for "Egocentric statistical nerdom" title.
A quick stocktake of my year cycling in 2011.
- joined Audax Australia (the long distance cycling club)
- dnf'd my first audax ride (rear gear cable snapped), completed 1 x 100, 5 x 200, 1 x 300.
- rode the 3 Peaks event in March (a ride that makes all the others seem ok)
- rode inaugural Canberra-Mogo Zoo2Zoo in Sept
- rode first 300km audax in Oct
- rode Sydney-Dubbo Zoo2Zoo again, then solo ride from Dubbo to Canberra just for fun in Oct
- didn't buy a new bike :-(
- dreamt about buying a new bike :-)
- have nearly finished building 1st wheel (a rear)
- finally cracked 7000km in the calendar year after 2 years falling just short (and I didn't ride during June or July!)
- road bike is now 2 1/2 years old, 68 rides in that time, average distance now over 100km per ride. I don't know why but I love that stat.
- been riding regularly for 3 years now. Might now qualify as more than just another "fad". (Sounds like the start of business case for a new bike)
- first competitive ride in the bike leg of the nepean triathlon.
- 1st puncture on the road bike,
- 4 punctures on the tractor, 2 on the highway heading to bathurst and orange (so much crap on the side of the road) and 2 on the commute (1 a genuine, the other a poor repair).
Goals for 2012?
- sort out re-fueling on long rides and test it out another 300km audax
- complete "year round randonneur" (an audax 200 every month , Nov-Oct, 2 down, 10 to go)
- complete building 2 wheels
- ride more dirt
- stretch regularly
- lose 5 kg